703 David Smith jr

66 Johnny Torres

20 Mike McCarthy

68 Mike Rothhammer

8g Greg Dinsmore

125 Jason Borlace

c31 Marlin Samford---DNS

55 Danny Brown(rolled in heat)

Modified heat winners, 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 703 David Smith jr.

IMCA Southern Sportmods

90 Dustin Butcher

48 Chris Swenson

888 Aaron Lunsford

44 Joe Spillman

88 Mark McGahey

18 Larry Jernigan

771 Wesley Malcher

16 Eric Madden

2x Dennis Hilla

89 Doug Livingston

00 Robert Skye

11 Chris McLendon

60 Robert Williams

09 David Routen--DNS(motor)

IMCA SSM heat winners, 48 Chris Swenson, 11 Chris McLendon

Limited Late Models

7 Richard Bartosh

58 Moe VanKirk

84 Patrick Kelly

13 Howie Marcx

50 Jerry Neal

33 Barry Major

14 Gary Hunter

21 Chris Snocker

33m Andy Van Blarcum

55 John Farquer---DNS

Limited Late Model heat winners, 58 Moe VanKirk, 13 Howie Marcx

Street Stocks

27 Eric Knudtson

37 AJ Wernette

51 Donald Lewis

08 Rene Mares

96 Justin Henley

41 Wade Jones

44 Danny Schroat

33 Frank Garrish

42 Tommy Casey

99 Frank O' Krulik

55 Cody Clark

88 Chris Brock

77 Wesley Werts--DNS(rolled in heat)

Street Stock heat winners, 08 Rene Mares, 96 Justin Henley

Pure Stocks

57Jason Kelly

4 Brandon Eury

01 Mike Brown

7x Janel Hilla

23 Sean Terry

29 Jay Harley

98 William Saunders

9 Philip Haywood

15 William Cavender

24 Marc Roy

77 Brian Holland

8 Dennis Jasik

Pure Stock heat winners, 98 William Saunders, 8 Dennis Jasik

Front Runners

9 Jared Payton

35 James Samford

8 Alec Jasik

14 Jessica Mares

I-37 Jim Knudtson

14 Amber Helton

Front Runner heat winner, 9 Jared Payton

Edited by rebelracewriter

Looked like the I37 modified drivers brought a knife to a gun fight! :unsure:

Chris sure looked good in the Sportmods, especially since his front end toe was bent in so bad you could see it from the stands. Still finished a strong 2nd.

Edited by hray

I-37 Raceway, 4/10/09

By J M Hallas

Pleasanton, Tx.,(April 10th, 2009) It was a wild night of racing at Pleasanton’s I-37 Raceway Friday night on the 1/4 mile semi-banked dirt track. Under a full moon, on a dry slick track, there were unfortunately a series of several roll-overs, airborne crashes and fires. Fortunately all drivers were able to walk away without serious injury, but there will a lot of work going on this week for many.

In the Modified class, an anonymous donor threw some extra money in the pot, making a $1,000 payday for the winner. The added money caught the attention of several drivers from the Corpus, Austin and Killeen areas. This IMCA SportMod purse was also increased with the winner scoring $350.

Whiteaker wears ‘em out in Modified main

Corpus young gun, Steve Whiteaker jr. has always been a contender at the south Texas tracks, and with the added USMTS experience has taken his game up another notch this year with good finishes in the touring series. Despite a crash in his heat, Whiteaker worked his way to the lead early the main, then pulled away to big margin to pick up the big payday along with an added hard charger bonus put up by 3-D Landscaping’s, Ray Doyon.

Johnny Torres led the field into turn 1 as the green waved on the 20-lap main event. In the pack David Smith jr. got turned around, but kept going falling nearly a full lap down. Whiteaker got past defending IMCA Modified, track champion Greg Dinsmore for second on lap 1. Whiteaker wasted little time running down Torres on lap 2 as Dinsmore was now challenged by veteran Lawrence Mikulencak.

Whiteaker got around Torres for the lead on lap 3, with Mikulencak taking third from Dinsmore. Dinsmore, who found the wall twice in heat race action and thrashed during intermission on the car, faded and pulled off. Mikulencak caught Torres and took over second on lap 6. At halfway it was Whiteaker, Mikulencak, Torres, Elias Anderson and Mike McCarthy in the top five.

Anderson worked his way around Torres on lap 11 for third. Coming from the back, Smith was flying around the top picking off fifth from McCarthy on lap 15. Continuing to work the high side, Smith who was as fast or faster than the leader at the end, grabbed fourth from Torres on lap 18. Up front Whiteaker was holding a big lead over Mikulencak and easily took the checkers in the WW Bodies, Showtime Signs, Jana Schurry/ReMax Realty, Youngs Auto Repair, Hughes Chassis.

“I kind of got lucky,” said Whiteaker. “ Someone got sideways on the first lap and Lawrence(Mikulencak) had to check up and I was able to get by him. Once I got the lead I didn’t really know how far anyone was behind me or how big of a lead I had. You just hope someone isn’t behind you waiting for the last lap to make a move.”

“I was fast tonight. The track was really decent. It didn’t start off that great, but it was really good, real racey, slick and nice and slow. It turned out to be a good night after all. After the incident with Lawrence in the heat I didn’t think we were done for the night, but knew we had a lot of work to do. We able to get it back together, that’s what it’s all about.”

“Running with the USMTS series definitely helps my driving. You’re only as fast as who you race with. That’s how you learn to get faster. I’ll go out of town and be faster when I come back, then everyone will catch up to me.”

Modifieds

89 Steve Whiteaker jr

87 Lawrence Mikulencak

31 Elias Anderson

703 David Smith jr

66 Johnny Torres

20 Mike McCarthy

68 Mike Rothhammer

8g Greg Dinsmore

125 Jason Borlace

c31 Marlin Samford---DNS

55 Danny Brown(rolled in heat)

Modified heat winners, 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 703 David Smith jr.

Butcher slices up the IMCA Sportmod field

As stablemate of Whiteaker, Dustin Butcher has learned the ropes quickly and made it a Team Whiteaker sweep in the two modified classes. Butcher escaped an early brush with tire wall, worked his way up through traffic and got the point just before halfway. A late race caution rebunched the field, but Butcher held off the wounded car of Chris Swenson for the victory.

At the start of the 20-lap IMCA SSM main, Larry Jernigan and Wesley Malcher stayed wheel to wheel through turns 1-2. Malcher eased out front going into turn 3 to get the lead. In the pack Chris McLendon got sideways and collected Robert Williams, As Williams car dug in it broke the rear end up sending him airborne with a hard landing on three wheels. The next start saw Jernigan jump into the lead, but Butcher found the tire wall in turn 1.

The third time was a charm with Jernigan again leading into turn 1, but Doug Livingston came from row two sneaking under Jernigan for lead coming out of turn 2. Malcher and Mark McGahey followed for second and third. On lap 1 Swenson got around Jernigan for fourth and made contact with McGahey knocking the toe-in by several inches. Swenson went around on lap 2, but kept going, with Dennis Hilla spinning behind him to bring out a caution.

On the restart, Malcher got inside Livingston in turns 1-2, while Butcher made his way into the top five. As Livingston and Malcher battled through turns 3-4, Malcher pushed up in 4 making contact with Livingston. Livingston wheel hopped Malcher sending him airborne and head-on into the wall hard. Ironically, teammate McGahey, inherited the lead for the restart that saw Aaron Lunsford get by Jernigan for fourth.

Butcher had just made a move on Swenson for second, when McGahey spun from the lead collecting Jernigan. With Swenson’s wounded ride now on point, Butcher took advantage on the restart and got along side for lead. Butcher grabbed the top spot on lap 6, with Joe Spillman and Hilla side by side for fourth. Hilla and Spillman swapped the spot coming to halfway with Butcher, Swenson, Lunsford, Spillman and Hilla the top five at the crossed flags.

Eric Madden spun on lap 11 to bring out the yellow. Once back to green, Butcher got a good jump on Swenson getting clear of the field. Lunsford then moved on Swenson pressuring him for second. As the Spillman/Hilla battle continued, both went around in turn 2, with Hilla stalling to bring out a caution on lap 13.

Butcher again got a good jump on Swenson, who was doing all he could to hold off Lunsford. Spillman was able to work his way back up getting by Malcher for fifth. In the waning laps, Spillman caught Jernigan for fourth and got the spot. Up front it was Butcher in the Access Ford, WW Bodies, Majek powered, Rush Chassis cruising unchallenged to the win.

“I was able to stay near the infield where the moisture was at,” replied Butcher. “After watching Danny Brown hit the same tires, in the same spot as soon as I hit them I thought ‘Oh no I’m going to go over to’. I was able to stay on all fours and the car was alright, so I kept on going.”

“When I finally got to Chris(Swenson) under caution I saw his front end was toed-in about three inches. I knew he was going to have a problem steering, but he’s still pretty hard to pass. I still have to work on him and drive my race. My car was good so I wasn’t real worried.”

“The dry track was a little tough(on cars). I just think it was everyone getting used to being on the track again at the beginning of the year. There’s a lot of people working the bugs out. I’m sure they’ll get better.”

IMCA Southern Sportmods

90 Dustin Butcher

48 Chris Swenson

888 Aaron Lunsford

44 Joe Spillman

88 Mark McGahey

18 Larry Jernigan

771 Wesley Malcher

16 Eric Madden

2x Dennis Hilla

89 Doug Livingston

00 Robert Skye

11 Chris McLendon

60 Robert Williams

09 David Routen--DNS(motor)

IMCA SSM heat winners, 48 Chris Swenson, 11 Chris McLendon

In the 20-lap Limited Late Model feature, Jerry Neal got out front to lead lap 1, with Richard Bartosh, defending champ, Moe VanKirk, multi-time champ, Gary Hunter and Howie Marcx falling in line. Patrick Kelly worked his way around Marcx for fifth on lap 1. Bartosh, in a new car this year, got past Neal to grab the lead on lap 3, with VanKirk taking second on lap 4.

Kelly, using the high groove, began to pressure Hunter for third on lap 7 and with persistence finally got the spot on lap 12. Andy Van Blarcum brought the yellow on lap 12 when he had a tire/wheel break off. On the restart, Kelly finally secured the pass on Hunter, while VanKirk was looking under Bartosh for the lead. The two stayed side by side on lap 13, while Marcx got past Hunter for fourth. Kelly, still running the rim, snagged third from Neal on lap 16.

After losing a little ground to Bartosh, VanKirk closed back in on the leader getting along again on lap 17. The two continued to run door to door, while Marcx snared fourth from Neal. VanKirk threw everything, but the front bumper, at Bartosh as the two scrapped it out for the win. At the checkers it was Bartosh fending off VanKirk to take the hard earned win.

Limited Late Models

7 Richard Bartosh

58 Moe VanKirk

84 Patrick Kelly

13 Howie Marcx

50 Jerry Neal

33 Barry Major

14 Gary Hunter

21 Chris Snocker

33m Andy Van Blarcum

55 John Farquer---DNS

Limited Late Model heat winners, 58 Moe VanKirk, 13 Howie Marcx

The scheduled 20-lap Street Stock feature saw Chris Brock lead into turn 1 but get passed by Frank Garrish, while Cody Clark and 2008 Pure Stock champ, Justin Henley spun but continued without caution. AJ Wernette get turned around on lap 1 and got clipped by Brock who brought out the caution. On the restart Rene Mares got sideways in turn 1 with Wernette, who had nowhere to go, sending him the rest of the way around.

Once back to green the two 2008 championship contenders, Donald Lewis and Wade Jones, ran side by side for third. Wernette got under Garrish for the lead on lap 3 followed by Jones to second, with Tommy Casey getting by Lewis then Garrish for third. Garrish had just worked back around Casey, when Jones spun from second on lap 4. On the restart Garrish spun and collected Lewis.

As Wernette inched away on green, Eric Knudtson and Casey ran side by side for second. The two stayed door to door on lap 6 with Knudtson getting the spot on lap 7. Casey would spin from third, but keep going without caution. Knudtson caught Wernette for the lead on lap 10 and got the top spot on lap 11. In the pack, Mares and Henley had their own personal fight for fourth swapping the spot in the final laps. Wernette tried to hang with Knudtson, but got hung behind a lapped car giving Knudtson an easy run to the checkers.

Street Stocks

27 Eric Knudtson

37 AJ Wernette

51 Donald Lewis

08 Rene Mares

96 Justin Henley

41 Wade Jones

44 Danny Schroat

33 Frank Garrish

42 Tommy Casey

99 Frank O' Krulik

55 Cody Clark

88 Chris Brock

77 Wesley Werts--DNS(rolled in heat)

Street Stock heat winners, 08 Rene Mares, 96 Justin Henley

William Saunders lead the field of a dozen Pure Stocks into turn 1 for the early lead, with Philip Haywood, Mike Brown, Janel Hilla and William Cavender in tow. Brandon Eury got by Cavender for fifth, with Jason Kelly tracking him for sixth. Brown began to challenge Haywood for second while Eury looked low on Hilla for fourth. As Hilla, Eury and Kelly scrambled for fourth, Eury and Kelly hooked bumpers briefly but broke themselves free.

Brown gave away his top three spot on lap 6 when he spun in front of the pack sending everyone into evasive mode. On the restart, Sean Terry spun in turn to bring the yellow back out. Leader, Saunders, was forced to pit with a flat tire. This handed the lead over to Haywood on the restart. Once back to green Brian Holland got into the turn 1 tires and rolled to bring out the red.

Once back under green again, Kelly got by Eury for second and was quickly on Haywood for the lead. Kelly took the point on lap 8, with Eury and Haywood side by side for second and Hilla beside Brown for fourth. Hilla got the spot on lap 11 but did a half spin giving the spot back to Brown. Brown was then able to get past Haywood for third on lap 12. Out front it was Kelly stretching his advantage out to a full straightaway, motoring on to the easy win.

Pure Stocks

57Jason Kelly

4 Brandon Eury

01 Mike Brown

7x Janel Hilla

23 Sean Terry

29 Jay Harley

98 William Saunders

9 Philip Haywood

15 William Cavender

24 Marc Roy

77 Brian Holland

8 Dennis Jasik

Pure Stock heat winners, 98 William Saunders, 8 Dennis Jasik

In the new Front Runner class, Alec Jasik got the early lead with Jared Payton in his wake. The two pulled away from James Samford in third. Payton got the lead from Jasik on lap 3 after Jasik got slowed by Jim Knudtson as they put him a lap down. Jasik fought back retaking the lead on lap 4 only to lose it back to Payton as they lapped Amber Helton. From there Payton was able to pull away from Jasik, who gave up second to Samford in the final laps, to sweep the Front Runner events.

Front Runners

9 Jared Payton

35 James Samford

8 Alec Jasik

14 Jessica Mares

I-37 Jim Knudtson

14 Amber Helton

Front Runner heat winner, 9 Jared Payton

Edited by rebelracewriter

Looked like the I37 modified drivers brought a knife to a gun fight! :unsure:

Chris sure looked good in the Sportmods, especially since his front end toe was bent in so bad you could see it from the stands. Still finished a strong 2nd.

YEH WHERE IS THAT 2 LINK MOD WITH THE SUPERNATIONAL SET UP ON IT :lol::lol::P;)