Brain Storm needed!

abrungot

So Reb, Sarge, EVEN TQ... anyone want to mentor on how to conduct interviews???

Aaron,

I might know a thing or two about conducting an interview...if you think i'm worthy, i'd be glad to help...

Aaron,

Chuck is probably your best beat for hands on mentoring. He is way better at interviews than I am. I am trying to learn how to do them myself.

If'n you looking for mentoring on how to write racing stories, Reb is your man. Best there is in the state.

I will help you in anyway I can. If there are any youngsters that are interested in PA Announcing, I would love to help them out. Maybe even let them have some mic time, track management willing.

JRA is a FANTASTIC deal, and you and your lovely wife have done a terrific job getting it up and running. Again, let me know if there is anything I can do for ya'll.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

The Voice of the San Antonio Diablos

...Maybe even let them have some mic time, track management willing....

Sarge, that kinda' goes with my suggestion. The cool thing about something like that would be that most people who want to man a mic are more outgoing and could probably talk more buddies into coming to check em' out while they hit the mic.

When growing up in California, my dad would take me to a place called Saugus Speedway. They had this great event every other racing week called the "EGO CHALLENGE" in which anyone over 18 could enter thier street car and if picked could run a couple of qualifying laps. I think they picked 3 to 5 cars a week and there was always more entered so you had to wait from week to week till you were picked. They would have to sign a waiver to hold harmless the racetrack for any misshaps. At the end of the season the top time would receive a trophy and prize package. It would pack the stands. People would bring thier neighbors, cousins, brothers and all thier kids to watch thier friend or relative try thier talents. I was in my early teens and couldn't wait to get to the track to watch these nascar wannabees. It was a blast. I only remember 1 person ever wrecking. It was a huge success. Might work extremely well at THR with no walls to hit. Just a thought. By the way, THR did a great job with JRA last year. My kids love the place and the events. They are already asking me when the track opens again, so it is working. Keep up the good work!!

If'n you looking for mentoring on how to write racing stories, Reb is your man. Best there is in the state.

You got that right...been saying that since Day One...

And, he gets the best Hooters girls, too.. :D:lol:

Let them into the pits. My two sons (AGES 13&14) Were awesome help,they knew what they were doing, and never got in the way. it killed them every time i had to tell them no. On the flip side i know its not a good place for real young kids to be considering the danger. Thats were the true love of racing comes from, behind the spot light. JMO

2 wide,I know exactly why the kids love your cars.Its the characters you guys have on them.Tweety,Yosmety Sam,Sylvester,Taz,etc.are characters the kids can relate to.It gives them someone to watch they can relate to.I did the same with my VW Rabbit naming it Thumper after Bambies buddy.It became the best known car at CC Speedway.All the kids rooted for Thumper and I bet they cant tell you what the car # is and certainly did not recognise my when I went into the stands to watch the other races.When I wrecked Thumper,I built a Scirocco and named it Rocky,after Rocky and Bullwinkle.Unfortunatuly,Rocky is mostly unknown to most kids today so Rocky was not as popular as Thumper so few kids wanted to see it after the races.Thumper will be back next year even though its still a Scricco.Its not the type of car thats important,its the character.And talking to the kids also.And Pappys goody bags.Ive always said make the cars the stars but most drivers disagree.Too much vanity.It works for dwarf cars,it worked for Thumper,it works for monster trucks and it can work for every race team on the track.Like Ive said,its time to change the show.Every car should be some kind of character that some fan can relate to.Unless you only want relatives in the stands.Why cant people see this? Thumper

Flying Aces,your dead on about having your kids in the pits.When mine were young I too had to keep them in the stands.No playground,no shade,board to tears.Arrive at 5 Pm and leave at 12 PM.Thats a lifetime to a kid.Thats why they hate racing today.Most tracks do allow kids in the pits now under strict supervision.If it was like that then,I would have 2 drivers racing my cars today. Thumper

Thumper,

You are right on about those cartoon characters. Though I am now in my latter 50's, I still remember well to this day the cartoon character displayed beside the rear window on the 99 car of Wayne Niedecken's back in the early 1960's (over 40 years ago). There have been pictures posted of Wayne and that car on this forum.

He had a decal of "Beep...Beep"........... the Roadrunner on that car!

I just want to redirect the discussion a tad bit... I want youth to become "involved" at the race track. I am not just looking for them to "be there" althought that is just as important.

nts. The dwarf cars are great. they are small and the kids can relate to them. when i was running one all I heard from my boy was when can he get one. well he is only 9 so that is some time from now. but something like a mini cup thats more afforadble to get into. like a 5hp briggs cart? This year we put my nephew into a jr mini in Killeen and he loves it but those are for ages 13 to 15. but even something simular at THR would be awsome.

Aaron,

I'm only 22 and can tell you that when I was around 14-18, the number one eye catcher for me was people my age or around my age that were on race tracks. I think when someone can relate to a racer by age, they gain a profound interest immediatly.

When I was 17, I remember watching Colt run at longhorn. It was great to see someone younger than me out running some of the older more experienced drivers. As, I started racing this year, I can relate to alot of those past memories and it really puts a cap on something that has been a passion.

I guess what I'm getting at is; keep promoting the younger generation drivers and draw youngsters in by doing so.

Also, feel free to send any of those youngsters over to my car. I will be happy to let them sit in it, learn about it, or ride around the track during kiddie rides.

-Clint L.

#3 SS THR

Edited by LaFont Racing 3

Clint i agree young kids idolize young racers.... One thing i loved seeing was the Mini cup cars, and the legecy's that would usually pull their cars into the main way after the races were over.. People young and old would flock over to them to check them out!!

I think Legecys got a few new drivers that way...

Buddy.. I have been talking with the RCQMA in Austin a lot this year we tried to get them out a couple of times... one of the main issues is their club runs on saturdays as well...

Edited by abrungot

Nick,

A quick fix please.

Would be relatively easy and inexpensive to put a 1/10th mi track in the infield of most any race track around.

Imagine racing your Q.M. in the afternoon, then getting to sit in the stands with your friends, still in your driving suit at the "big" races that evening. How cool would that be!

Edited by Budman

Guest RandyBorlace

i think quarter midgets ran on 1/20th mile tracks, dont remember been a long time, i still got a fresh engine in my shop by bill edmiston, and it was FAST, need to sell it..