Old Modified and Super-modified Photos

Budman

Txtom,

As earlier stated, after NASCAR vacated, the Meyer Spdwy/Houston Late Models had the option to downsize and most of the competitors did, as most other regions were downsizing as well. The # 28 Ford changed from a '68/'69 Torino to a '71/'72 Mustang. What was used or not used in the switch, I would not know. I remember the plaque, but I was thinking it was in the Torino and said "Donnie" instead of "Bobby" Allison, but if I'm not mistaken, I could be wrong.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess the guy to ask would be Joe himself.

One of Denny's earlier postings stated Joe was still working in Galveston; perhaps we can find a way to contact him.

It would be interesting to find out the lineage of the car.

I remember Joe running pretty good at Meyer; When he came to San Antonio, he was a little down on power for those long straights.

Was still good to see a non-GM car racing. At that time, there were only a couple regular Ford or Mopar runners. Quick names in non GM were John Kelly in his familiar green Ford, John Yates in the ex-Slick Yoemans Ford, Allen Luska in a Mustang, Johnny Unitis in a Mopar, Rick Baldwin in a Chrysler kit car, will think of a couple more.

Thanks for all the info, RE, and keep it coming.

Joe Plowman showed up at San Antonio maybe a couple times, after Meyer closed, but it had Mustang sheetmetal.

While I don't know if the Mustang was the pictured Torino with a different body, I specfically remember that Mustang had a dash plaque that stated "Built by Bobby Allison especially for Joe Plowman."

This pic was previously posted in this forum, and this is the car I remember:

That car looks like it has the Torino sheet metal from the beltline up.

Some very great historic pictures posted by M F Barnes. Going by memory, and a film/tape from 9/'66, I know the silver late '30s/'40s era modified/fabricated sedan bodied "BATMOBILE" Modified Stock Car # 4 was raced/driven by Jackie Woosley at Meyer Speedway/Houston in the '66 season. As for years before/after, I just can't remember. As pictured, the Batmobile Modified has fenders, although trimmed as allowed. Also, in '66 (before/after?), the earlier white # 28 Joe Plowman Modified had a fendered/modified late '30s coupe body. At some point, '67 or later, the Meyer Speedway/Houston Modified Stock Cars shed fenders in the rules, and also seemed to somewhat transition to Super Modified Stock/Super Modified Cars. The blue # 3 Modified (Billy Perran?), the white # 28 Modified (Joe Plowman), and the purple # 4 Modified (Jackie Woosley?) would to me appear to be what I would call transition cars. As seen, niether car has fenders. The purple # 4 Modified seems vaguely familiar, and I believe it was driven by Jackie Woosley, but I am not absolutely sure. The body appears late '30s modified/fabricated coupe. The blue # 3 Modified is the Red Garner fabricated four Ford Falcon fender bodied car that was driven by Billy Perran and later by Don Stodder as I recall.

Red could run both sets of rules for the modifieds. His car had four fenders..................

I never thought of that Jim. I guess if looked at from the right place, or the car was turned on it's sides to look, those four fenders would somewhat "cover the tires". Maybe, just maybe, there was a good reason why Ed Hamblen discouraged the Bronco Stocks from pitting in the same area with the Modifieds.

Denny,

Myself, I have a vague memory of an incident similiar to the one you described, but I don't recall seeing it or being there when it occured.

In the picture of Billy Perran and Red Garner's late 60s era Modified Car # 3, I'm curious as to what is happening in turn four.

Denny,

Myself, I have a vague memory of an incident similiar to the one you described, but I don't recall seeing it or being there when it occured.

In the picture of Billy Perran and Red Garner's late 60s era Modified Car # 3, I'm curious as to what is happening in turn four.

You mean the pic of Charlie, Bill and Billy?

Denny,

You mean the pic of Charlie, Bill and Billy?

I only recognize Billy Perran. The gentleman near the white station wagon, and both of the gentlemen standing near the # 3 Car appear to be looking towards turn four.

Edited by RETrott

BillWhite2.jpg

BillWhite3.jpg

And here's Wild Bill again in that famous White Deuce

SONATA_VOLUME-144.jpg

And Cowboy in his Double Tre

SONATA_VOLUME-222.jpg

The Numder Three Mod 1966 Liberty Bell Classic

These Kids nowdays just think they invented drifting in their Rice Burning POS's

Edited by mfbarnes

M F Barnes has posted a great illustration of Meyer Spdwy/Houston Modified Cars. The Bill White driven Super Modified Car # 2, and the Jimmy "Cowboy" Johnson driven, late 30s body modified coupe Modified Stock Car # 33. The Modified Stock Car # 3 (?) pictured is very similiar to the Modified Stock Car # 98, that was driven by Blackie Lothringer in '66, but I recall another almost identical looking car as well. The Modified Stock Cars pictured appear early/mid '60s era. The Super Modified Car pictured appears early '70s era. In between, the late '60s era Modified Cars were, "in between".

Edited by RETrott

That sure was a pretty car that Cowboy had. Wonder where it wound up??? I have a friend that has been in the paint & body/restoration business for 50 years. He would like to get the old 2 car from Bill White and restore it. He wanted George's old 24 car but have exhausted any possibilities of finding it. I told him we could run up to Temple one day to see Bill.

if anyone wants to see some pictures of page reynolds, hugh richards, john mclaren, ival cooper, ikey jerome , hooker hood and a whole lot more 'super'drivers go to' miss. chicken' and look up a section called super drivers ,and the section called asphalt cars there is probably a couple hundred pictures to check out ,a whole lot of memories there B)

Been there, done that. Some really great old cars there. I have seen a good many of them run. What power steering????????????????????? It took a big wheel and strong arms to hustle those cars around the track. :D:D:D

That sure was a pretty car that Cowboy had. Wonder where it wound up??? I have a friend that has been in the paint & body/restoration business for 50 years. He would like to get the old 2 car from Bill White and restore it. He wanted George's old 24 car but have exhausted any possibilities of finding it. I told him we could run up to Temple one day to see Bill.

I've been trying to call Bill for the last week and no answer. I went by his place last Thursday, and the gate was closed and locked. I have the questions that have been posted here to ask him, but I can't get in touch with him. Will try again next week. Let me know when you plan on coming up.

57tbird,

You may be able to get info about Bill from Gunsmoke Motors and towing in Academy. (254)982-4614.

Bill's brother Ronnie ran this place for years, and I think he is still there. Ronnie was a great shoe himself, and he will help you get in touch with Bill.

Here's a picture of Bill White's #3 roadster that he drove for awhile after he started driving the #2 that he purchased from Billy Wade. For some reason, he switched back to #2 and I don't know what ever happened to this #3. I think the #2 was probably a better car. Anyone remember #3?

[resized by Nick Holt, 12/17/07]

post-3-1197874294_thumb.jpg

I'd like to know where Cowboy got that car. Although, I believe, Fritz Fossler worked on it some, I have a feeling it was bought, already built. As for the # 24 Car, I'm confused.

Rodlea and/or Budman,

Any information and/or pictures of the Austin area Bronco Stock Cars. That name has been used more than I realized.

Edited by RETrott

Mr. TBird, if you get back to see Bill and his wife, please ask if Bill has any pictures of the 2 car when he first bought it. Budman and I have been looking high and low to find a pic of the car as when Wade had it. thanks for all you have done.

Jim

Just got back from Bill's. He says about the only difference is that he lowered the top when he got it. He is going to look for some pictures he thinks he has. I'll post, if he finds them.

Here's a picture of Bill White's #3 roadster that he drove for awhile after he started driving the #2 that he purchased from Billy Wade. For some reason, he switched back to #2 and I don't know what ever happened to this #3. I think the #2 was probably a better car. Anyone remember #3?

Bill says the #3 was restored to its Indy configuration and has been sitting in Jody Matous's garage in Temple for years. I'll check into this and see if I can get a picture.

Bill said he's hanging on to old #2. He doesn't know if he'll ever get around to restoring it, but he's keeping it.

Buddy,

Now that you mentioned the 2 brothers I remember them - Cook brothers. Pretty sure they were engine builders.The wheels and tires on the #3 car look the same as the #2 car - pretty sure they were the same wheels.

Rodney

Cook brothers... Ernie and Eddie

Thanks 57 for tracking Bill down. Hope he is well. It would be great to see the pics you spoke of. I never saw the Indy roadster. Could be an interesting history there. I remember Bill bringing a red sprint car to Meyer for awhile. I think it also was a # 2. I never knew if he owned that car or someone else. I remember it was the smallest sprinter I had ever seen. Maybe he can fill you in on that.