Suspension Engineering Seminar coming soon

NickHolt

I will be conducting my annual six-week suspension seminar this fall - November 7th thru December 12th at Ancira Winton Chevrolet (Loop 410 and Bandera Road).

I hope to offer an Austin area seminar in January and February, but I still need to find a good location for that one.

This is not a "trick of the week" sort of deal. We get into the principles that make a race car fast. Ask anyone who has ever attended one (in some cases 3 or 4) of these seminars about what they learned. People who learn and apply the principles taught do very well. Sure, there's some math involved, but I give participants some software that takes care of the math for ya... Plus about 80 pages of class notes.

Off the top of my head, here are the names of a few of the folks who have attended over the past few years. Ask any one of them about the seminar.

Chase Stapp

Jamie Fuller

Trey Mitchell

Paul Costas

Joe Aramendia

Duane Toyne

Doug Ayers

Doug Lege

Terry Tschoerner

Chris Schild

Mona Turner

Barry Tuttle

Bubba Naumann

Robert Walton

Tommy Gural

Tator Mason

Leland Waddell

Lloyd Hart

Gary Ison

Jason Ray

Jack Foy

Bob Riley

Todd Farris

I have included the flyer and registration form below.

Nick

post-2-1158730004_thumb.jpg

Texas Speed Zone asks that you follow the rules - and the spirit of the rules - listed below.

Texas Speed Zone is a No-Bash Zone. NO BASHING OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED!

(1) No Soliciting.

(2) Do not post advertisements. We will be happy to talk to you about placing an advertisment on Texas Speed Zone. Just drop us an email at cnholt@sbcglobal.net

hey nick i think you need to contact cnholt@sbcglobal.com for this dont you lol

Texas Speed Zone asks that you follow the rules - and the spirit of the rules - listed below.

Texas Speed Zone is a No-Bash Zone. NO BASHING OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED!

(1) No Soliciting.

(2) Do not post advertisements. We will be happy to talk to you about placing an advertisment on Texas Speed Zone. Just drop us an email at cnholt@sbcglobal.net

hey nick i think you need to contact cnholt@sbcglobal.com for this dont you lol

Thanks for informing me of the TXSZ rules, Stan. LOL..

But I have an agreement with the site owner to advertise on here, just as others who make arrangements with the site owner can advertise here.

Nick Holt

I heard Oldtimer was going to teach the part on "rowl sinners" and "beg bra, sihf spong stet op"

Bruce,

You need to have your ears examined. Actually, I do ask Larry Bendele to come in for part of one session to share some of his set up secrets with the class. But I really don't recall asking oldtimer because he sumt.imes dint wri.te sew gud.

Just kidding OT. I know you know how to spell. You're just putting us on, right?

Nick

ACE44,

At the end of every seminar, I always ask the participants to complete a course evaluation with an eye towards making the seminar better the next time through.

One of the comments I sometimes get is that the seminar was not long enough. I think what that is telling me is that some of the folks wish we could spend more time getting into some of the more complicated subjects, such as roll-couple distribution and moment arms. I have threatened to conduct an advanced suspension engineering seminar with a very small class - say, maybe four or five people. I would design it very much like a college course meeting once a week for twelve weeks with homework assignments, a research component and exams. But I doubt there is enough interest in South/Central Texas.

But, as it is, we are spending about 20 classroom hours as opposed to a 2-4 hour or one-day seminar that you frequently find being offered (and usually at a much higher cost than my seminars).

When you attend one of my seminars, you get the whole suspension engineering picture from weight and weight transfer, how the weight is transferred in cornering, how to select the correct springs/sway bars/shocks to control the body roll generated during corning, the suspension geometry needed to grow "long legs," how caster and the rest of the critical geometry parameters actually work and how you can use those settings to enhance handling, how bump and roll steer and help/hurt performance, what roll couple distribution is and how is it related to spring frequency and weight distribution, how to balance a race car once you have obtained "long legs," and various hints, tips, charts, diagrams and suspension programs to help students as they learn. So, it really is pretty comprehensive.

Let me say something about "long legs."

"Long legs" is what I use to describe a car that has the proper weight and weight distribution, the proper suspension geometry and the proper springs and shocks. Once all those things are in place, it's just a matter of balancing the car. On the other hand, a car that doesn't have the proper weight distribution, springs, etc., but is perfectly balanced, will usually finish behind a car that does. Make sense?

I teach folks how to grow "long legs" and then teach them how to balance the car.

A lot of cars are well balanced. But why aren't some of those cars that the driver says handles perfectly not winning? It's because their legs aren't long enough. Pretty simple, but you'd be surprised how much knowledge goes into getting those "long legs."

Nick

We taped it 15 years ago, but it's badly outdated. I've added a bunch of material since then.

Way back in '94. the Lege's hosted one at their shop. It was a long drive for me every week, but somehow I managed to stay awake - I guess the radar detector kept me alert.. LOL.

Off the top of my head Joe Napoleon, Teddy and Chris Schild, the Lege brothers, Joe Mixon, Ron Jones, Tom Teel and Marcus Sebesta were part of a group of about 15-16 who attended those sessions.

We're actually talking with Deed Dupont to see if there is enough interest in the Houston area. If we can get at least 15 students I'd be willing to make the trip to Houston during the off season.

Nick

Thanks Nick I will be attending your class and probally twice the way it sounds. If you can tell me about how many people you need a place for in Austin I will help get it set up I have a few connections. Also what date you are shooting for?

Are you teaching the BBSS CB SB setups that the front runners are running in Late Models?

Yes I do discuss the BB/ss setups including shock recommendations for various BB/ss scenarios. We also explain how it works, why it works and under what conditions it will or will not work to your advantage.

We also discuss conventional setups, soft conventional setups, high cross weight setups and flat setups - and even take a peek or two at FWD setups.

More importantly, we teach the underlying chassis/suspension principles involved before we actually look at the various ways to employ those principles.

Unlike many suspension seminars, I don't stand up there and tell you what to run or what worked good for me at one time or other. I teach the principles first - then talk about how to make those principles work in any suspension setup.

Nick

Is this course mainly for late models or will it cover the suspensions on the metric chassis cars as well????

Suspension engineering principles apply to any race car that has springs, shocks and suspension linkages. I teach what those principles are and how they are applied to any race car. They apply equally well to Legacys, Pro Sedans, Street Stocks (Sportsman), Hobbies (Road Runners) and even Grand Stocks - or whatever.

Sure, the LM cars have nearly all of the suspension adjustments readily available and can easily take advantage of all the proven suspension technology.

But, quite frankly, teams running in the "lower" classes need suspension engineering principles integrated into their cars since the adjustments aren't "automatically built in" like they are in a Late Model. It's harder to get an advantage in the lower classes. I offer the chance for folks to obtain the knowledge they need to get that advantage.

The seminar is primarily designed for pavement cars, rather than dirt cars. But the suspension principles are pretty much the same for a dirt car running on "dry slick" track conditions.

To answer your direct question, yes, we do spend some time talking about the metric chassis.

Nick

Do it go into where the particular adjustments are and can be made to particular chassis as well... Along with the info of what does what, I am also interested in where these adjustments can be made to my car if you know what I mean...

like in my case we have a metric chassis and have just a guess on where the camber adjustments are made... I know I sound like a total newbie but I basically am an engine guy myself and know very little on the chassis ends of the cars....

Do it go into where the particular adjustments are and can be made to particular chassis as well... Along with the info of what does what, I am also interested in where these adjustments can be made to my car if you know what I mean...

like in my case we have a metric chassis and have just a guess on where the camber adjustments are made... I know I sound like a total newbie but I basically am an engine guy myself and know very little on the chassis ends of the cars....

We go into all of that - although I never recommend that anyone cheat. Obviously, if you don't know the direction you need to go to get "Long Legs," the team that does know has the upper hand.

I worked closely with Terry Tschoerner when he was trying to develop a workable, legal way to get his metric SS to handle at THR and have worked closely with several of the metric truck teams as well. I have a real good understanding of the problems faced by teams running a metric chassis.

As a "newbie" you will get a lot out of the seminar, but I have found that most "newbies" come back to a second, third, or even fourth seminar as they gain experience. In fact, for those who come back for a third seminar, it's free!

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Swenson will be one of my guest speakers for this San Antonio seminar. Chris will be sharing information about shocks and shock selection. As many of you know, Chris is one of the most saavy shock guys around here.

Although I haven't officially asked him yet, Larry Bendele is a frequent speaker as well. His knowledge of tires, tire stagger, tire pressures, etc. is amazing.

I only have room for about 4-5 more students.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...