USRA/San Antonio Speedway Drivers' Meeting

debwill

For what it's worth I can contact the editor who interviewed me for my article in Speedway Illustarted. Let's see what our chances are in getting them to publish an article about Texas tracks closing etc. If we have any luck maybe we can draw some attention of some major companies or big time investors.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for all you keyboard racers outhere if you have 80000 or more laying around to use on something you will never own let me know i have rent house's you can remodel and i could own-----GET OFF THE MANS BACK HE DID WHAT HE COULD

BOYCOTT TOYOTA THAT WILL GET MORE DONE THAN SITTING AT HOME WHINING

It would have been nice if SAS would have informed their track officials or at least called them to let them know they didnt have a job any longer because the track was closing or even invited their officials to the meeting instead of hearing it second hand. That wasnt kewl. I will miss everyone....anyone want to buy a Sportsman Car? LOL

It will help if someone did something to keep the track open, but of course all these issues need to be fixed. What good will it do? The property is just leased, the owner can just turn around and sell it any time. Lets just get someone to help build a new track around SA if they have money to spend, or sell the property and have the owner pitch in 2 million and she can still get a percentage of the ticket sale. :D

Okay. I can understand the closing of the track for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. How do these problems affect the touring series that were wiped out? There are a lot of teams in these series who are left with no place to race and without leadership. The open wheels can easily race on dirt, the late models have venues to play on, albeit long hauls but the trucks are doomed. Anyone have any answers or ideas? This is not a time to blame, harass, or crucify anyone. United, this can be a "new beginning". Many may not have liked the promoter of these series and SAS, but they did provide a place to race. Thgis is something we should all keep in mind. Those of you who have cars at least have real property to look at. TD has nothing he can put in his hands and say "what return can I expect from this?" We are all upset, or dissappointed would be a better word, but we need to thank TD for what he tried to do to promote the sport we all love. I really hate this sport anyway. Alchoholics have AAA, as do druggies. Smokers can buy patches, but we have no cure for our disease so if we want to continue feeding our habit, we need to get creative. Thanks TD and all who helped with your dream.

trucks are doomed. Anyone have any answers or ideas?

I hope the trucks are not doomed. The trucks and mods both can race at HMP. HMP and THR have been cooperating well for the past couple of years. THR needs the touring series on their schedule. I'd bet money they are currently working on a plan to have the trucks AND mods run at THR and HMP, just without the USRA sanction.

Believe me, the trucks and mods will be racing at HMP and THR. There's already plans in the works, probably with a fuller schedule, better purse and more cars than USRA.

Those 2 series have been on their death bed several times before and revived. They are too exciting to disappear and if the tracks won't pick them up, the drivers will (just like happened when SAS tried to kill the mods in the early '00s.

MOD AND TRUCK OWNERS AND DRIVERS UNITE!!!!!!! ;):lol:

I haven't talked to any of the parties involved, but here's what I would like to see happen with the Trucks and Mods.

Mary Ann picks up both series and renames them. She is already in the touring series business. She could call them the TSRS Modifieds and the TSRA Trucks. She already has established good a working relationship with HMP - two tracks are better than none!

At the same time, that would mean that Mary Ann would have her plate pretty much overflowing. Since Rick Day is now available, she might consider hiring Rick to run all three series and THR for her and H.

Maybe just a pipe dream, but I see some potential here.

Nick

Lets look at this from the right prospective.

You are a developer who has interest in racing. You find property in Ft. Worth Alliance, go to their city council show them your plans and how you will be bringing monies into their economy. Purchase property, surrounding trailer park and mobile homes. Then hotels, gas stations and neighborhoods follow...

My heart tells me Terry and Tammy would keep going if there werent these obstacles in front of them. My gut tells me it is our "wonderful" city council that can't see the future of auto racing. There was a mention of a noise ordinance. This is fixed easily, put mufflers on every car/truck. If the city wanted to help the track survive they would work with the track to keep it open.

I'll put my name on a petition....

Just curious, has anyone sat down and worked up the numbers to build another track?

I had a proposal come across my desk about two years ago to build a new track in Louisiana, I’ll look and see if I still have it. The proposal was ridiculous, they wanted 2.5 million to build a ¼ mile asphalt oval. Maybe it’s just me, but I just can’t see how it would be that expensive to build a short track, especially for someone like T.D. who is involved in the heavy equipment business. That is if he would even want to get back involved with racing and all the B.S. that he has to deal with from everyone.

My point is race tracks are usually never built on prime real estate. Unfortunately, sometimes the land becomes prime real estate. This is the case for a lot of the tracks that were built many years ago and are now home or shopping center developments.

It would make a lot of sense for Mary Ann to pick up the trucks and modifieds, the challenge come from the timing of this. Given the fact that the trucks and mods are already on the schedule, the question then becomes who is responsible for the purse and points fund. Is it profitable from a business perspective, because if not why would she get involved?

Say what you want, everyone has there opinion, but when it comes down to it how will anyone stay in racing business if they can’t turn a profit. The only thing worse than owning one racing series that looses money is owning three.

JMO :(