Since no one has mentioned this

arob

I watched some of the racing from Eldora last weekend. Superman seems to almost be unbeatable there when the huge checks are on the line. Good racing there almost always. Between Baltes & Stewart, that's always be a great track. I grew up 75 miles for Eldora, and it was fun to go watch late models run there. One of my favorite drivers that ran at Tri-County Speedway, Bruce Gould, won the very first World 100. I enjoyed the hell out of that.

6 hours ago, texasprd said:

Bruce Gould - seems like I remember seeing that name (and a pic) in old Stock Car racing magazine way back (possibly my brother's)

Yes Bruce had pictures in SCR. The first was after he won a big 100 lapper at Tri-County Speedway (Spring Series). Back in 1973-75, TCS held a spring series there in March. No other midwest asphalt track was open in March. They were held each Sunday during the month, and because Bill Redwine was offering really good purses, the car counts were insane. Over the 3 seasons that the Spring Series ran, the worst car count was 83 late models. We had drivers from about 8 states. As they would only start 24 cars & 2 owner's provisionals (usually local racers). The heat races were insane. Only the top 4 qualifying cars got in on time, everyone else had to qualify through the heats. Because these races were in March, most of those drivers brought their new cars for that season to TCS. It's a good thing that nobody had enclosed trailers, as more than a couple would have had a difficult time being loaded for the ride home.

The first #68 picture is the car that won the first World 100 (the second time he was in SCR). You may not be able to see it, but it's Joey Stricker's name over the door of the 1969 Torino. Joey ran that car at Tri-County, as Bruce hadn't started driving for them yet. That was a Holman-Moody roller, finished out by Jack Bowsher. The second #68 is the 1971 Torino, also via H-M and Jack Bowsher. Both of those cars ran dirt & asphalt. The #22 Is Gary Bowsher's late model at Tri-County. This was either 1973 or 74. I was on the pit crew. Jim Bowsher, Gary's older brother, drove that car in the USAC Stocks, before it became Gary's first race car. That car exited TCS's 3rd turn, doing 2 end over end flips, not of his making. I took the hood home, and kept it in the garage. I joined into the Air Force in 1975. I never knew when it got scraped.

I plead guilty, I couldn't help myself. The last picture of the #11 modified is me. I ran that car for nearly a decade in Tucson. I sold it to a guy that was running dirt here in TX, He owned several cars, but he had a driver that wanted to try asphalt at Houston Motorsports Park. I never saw the car after I sold it, but Nick said that he saw it at HMS a time or two. I've owned several really good street cars over the years. That was the only race car that I ever owned. That was the only car that I sold that I cried after selling it.

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg