Fan Appreciation/Final Points Night @ I-37 Speedway by Bobcat of Pleasanton, 9-28-24

Fan Appreciation/Final Points Night @ I-37 Speedway by Bobcat of Pleasanton, 9-28-24

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(Sept. 28Th, 2014) “Turn out the lights, the….” No, wait “It's not over, until we say it's over.”

After a long, sometimes terribly hot, year it all concluded Saturday night with the final points race of the season at I-37 Speedway's ¼ mile, semi-banked, dirt, oval. Three special events remain on the 2024 schedule, mid-October, DTK Memorial the first weekend of November and a 10K to win IMCA Modified show the first weekend of December.

On the nights racing slate its the Limited Modifieds, Factory Stocks, Fireballs and Sport Compacts in competition to finalize championships.

Limited Modifieds; Trent Beaver comes into action with a nearly insurmountable point lead over young guns Charles Flanagan(-33) and Steven Whiteaker III(-54). Another rookie, Robert Wiggins is fourth(-74) and Jared Maupin(-117) fifth in a part time campaign.

Factory Stocks; Another pretty well decided class with Michael Keylich

coming in thirty six markers ahead of Kyle Kirkland who is only one point in front of Robert Keylich. Jarrett Payton and Johnny Walker Brown are both over 100 points out.

Fireballs; Pretty sure Howie Marcx doesn't even need to unload coming in with a whopping 71-point edge over, rookies, Shane Stonebraker and Danny Dear(-88) with Joseph Montemayor and Levi Hernandez nearly 200 back.

Sport Compacts; Now here we have a race going on. Eric Wilson enters the night only six ahead of Josh Jones with former champ, Rod Tait, and Sonny Kinnaman separated by one in the fight for third and James Baum fifth.

Late Models; Their season ended last race for the Late Models with a good battle for the title among, Robby Minten, Ray Doyon III and Landon Sowder. The three were separated by only nine markers. Minten's chance for the title ended early with heat race issues that carried over to the feature. Doyon, Minten's uncle, was able to finish ten spots ahead taking the championship by only one point. Sowder, Ziggy Reusser and Rory Jordan completed the top five.

****With heavy rain mid-week in Corpus Christi, South Texas Race Ranch was forced to cancel early with I-37 Speedway offered the E-Mod class an invitation to run a non E-Mod trilogy/non-points race. In this year's two previous shows Parker Titzman and Zach Freeman picked up checkers, but Daniel Preston leads the Trilogy points. The final of the three race Trilogy series concludes when they compete again on Oct. 19th.

Beaver Bags Limited Modifieds

The start of the 15-lap Limited Modified feature saw Trent Beaver get to turn 1 first, with Jaden Edmond taking a look low off turn 2. Beaver held the spot while Steven Whiteaker III got second, followed by Edmond and Clint Everage. Charles Flanagan and Ziggy Reusser had trouble in turn 3 for the races only caution.

Once back to green, Beaver got away with Edmond grabbing second. Flanagan got past Everage for fourth followed by Reusser to fifth. At halfway Beaver had a comfortable lead over Edmond, Whiteaker, Flanagan and Reusser. As the field stretched out the laps quickly clipped off and with two to go Beaver had built a half straight advantage.

No one had anything for Beaver(China Grove) as he was able to pick up another victory for the season in the Beaver Heating & Air Conditioning, Bear Wash, Beaver Medical Group, Auburn Custom Homes, LaVernia Mini Storage, WW Bodies, Best Race Engines, IRP Chassis. This secured his 2024 track championship.

_DSC1603(1024x684)(2).jpg.010eba3bae105c23f8f000866e276bed.jpg

It's been a good season,” explained Beaver. “I feel like we've made pretty good gains on the car. Hopefully we can make a couple more for the big shows. Other than the South Texas Shootout we will just run the two big shows here and try to get a good finish to the season.”

It was in the back of my mind a little that all I had to do basically was start the race. I just tried to get the win and the points will work themselves out if you do a good job. We've got this new IRP pretty good right now. We've got a couple things to work on still, but the things we're working on should be good this next race coming up.”

Tonight we just freed the car up. It's been tight all year trying to free it up in the moisture. We got better, but I feel we need to go a little bit more. We'll go back to work and see what we can do.

The track wasn't too bad tonight compared to the last race here. There were a few ruts, but it wasn't that bad. You just have to keep the car underneath you.”

Limited Modifieds by Iron Horse RV

14 Trent Beaver, 00e Jaden Edmond, 88 Steven Whiteaker III, 58 Charles Flanagan, 30 Ziggy Reusser, 10d Clint Everage, 11t Tom Grothues

Limited Modified heat

Heat 1; 14 Trent Beaver, 00e Jaden Edmond, 30 Ziggy Reusser, 88 Steven Whiteaker III, 10d Clint Everage, 58 Charles Flanagan, 11 Tom Grothues

Preston Powers to E-Mod Pay Day

Zachary Calhoun was first into turn 1 at the start of the E-Mod feature with David Sheffield trying a run up top. Calhoun held the point trailed by Sheffield, Daniel Preston, birthday boy Mickey Helms and Kyle Jackson in the top five. Sheffield was able to get by Calhoun for the lead on lap 2 with Preston following to second.

Preston and Sheffield were wheel to wheel for the lead when Tim Thompson slapped the front stretch wall shearing the right rear off for a lap 4 yellow. On the restart Sheffield spun between turns 3-4 collecting Helms, Sommer Nave and Calhoun giving the lead to Preston for the restart. Once back to green Jackson, Helms and Derrick Gonzales were three wide for third.

At halfway it was Preston, Calhoun, Jackson, Helms and Gonzalez as the top three broke away from the pack. Calhoun then began putting the heat on Preston for the lead looking low. They were wheel to wheel for the spot with Preston holding him off, and Jackson looking for an opening. At the finish Preston(Corpus Christi) was able to hold off Calhoun for the win in his Grays Recycling, Jordan Equipment, Top Hat Signs & Designs, T2 Aeronautical, Rush Gear by Austin Witt, Wehrs Machine, Wicked Fast Transmissions, WRT, Mullins Crate Engines, JoJo Wilham Chassis.

_DSC1744(1024x684)(2).jpg.313c75c97e2d717d3838fef91df8a825.jpg

Even though this was kind of last minute, we were ready.” reported Preston. “After the race last Saturday we got her cleaned up and about race ready by noon Sunday. After Corpus rained out there were a bunch of us itching to go racing and we all bugged I-37. Ray(Doyon) and Michael(Keylich) were gracious enough to let us come play.”

I race with these guys a lot and know they will migrate to the bottom out of instinct. I knew I wouldn't do much passing down there. I went to the top and got the lead and ran it until I heard someone slowly starting to creep in. So I moved down and the car a lot faster.”

We had a good battle for the lead. He(David Sheffield) is a good clean racer. I had a good run on him going outside for a few laps. He left me a lane the whole time. I don't know what happened to him on that restart. I was married to the top I just saw his spoiler turn towards the infield. At the end it was Zach Calhoun trying to get under me. He's always fast. I couldn't run the bottom as good so I tried to run the middle and break his momentum and still leave him a lane. I didn't want to wreck anyone for the win.”

Hats off to all these guys and the track crew. The track was really good, had a little bit of character, but not bad. Everyone races on the same track. A lot of people change their cars track to track running all three down here. I don't change anything on this one. As it sits is how I raced Edna and Corpus. I felt like we had a second-third place car all year. So we've been working on it, changing rear ends, transmissions and shocks to try to get some more dig. I guess it worked out tonight.”

E-Mods by 366 Motorsports

6” Daniel Preston, 22 Zachary Calhoun, 13k Kyle Jackson, 75h Mickey Helms, 73 Derrick Gonzalez, 101 Tripp Whitmire, 07 Michale Pesek, 59b Brianna Witzsche, 21s Sommer Nave,18s Cameron Schmidt, 4k David Sheffield, 27 Zach Freeman, 95 Tim Thompson, 22x Eric Ramos---dns, 40 Kyle Workman---dns

E-Mod heats

Heat 1; 22 Zachary Calhoun, 75h Mickey Helms, 73 Derrick Gonzalez, 59b Brianna Witzsche, 101 Tripp Whitmire, 27 Zach Freeman, 18s Cameron Schmidt, 40 Kyle Workman

Heat 2; 4k David Sheffield, 6” Daniel Preston, 13k Kyle Jackson, 95 Tim Thompson, 07 Michale Pesek, 21s Sommer Nave, 22x Eric Ramos

Rachui Races to Factory Stock Riches

So you're saying “there's a chance.”

Points leader Michael Keylich was unable to race due to migraines, giving up his seat to Johnny Torres for the feature. Holding a 36-point lead over Kyle Kirkland, there was an opportunity for him to lose the championship if Kirkland could finish in the top four.

As the green flag waved it was Cameron Starry getting a good launch for the lead over Brandon Welker, Nathan Rachui, Johnny Walker Brown and Allen Torres. A. Torres got by Brown for fourth bringing Mike Lyon along to fifth. Starry began ease away leaving Welker, Rachui and A. Torres battling for second.

Rachui was able to take second from Welker before Scott Jerkins and Robert Keylich had trouble on the back stretch for a lap 8 caution. On the restart, Rachui got a good run getting along side Starry for lead getting the nose out front on lap 9. At the crossed flags it was Rachui, Starry, A. Torres, Welker and Johnny Torres in the top five.

The top three, running nose to tail, put some distance on Welker, J. Torres and Lyon in their own battle for fourth. Starry tried looking high on Rachui while Welker and J. Torres were swapping the spot. A. Torres slipped and lost ground after a trip in the infield before a debris caution on lap 18.

On the restart Starry tried Rachui low, but clipped an infield tire sending him around and out of contention. Back to green Rachui got away while the brothers Torres scrapped for second and Makayla Trimble got along side Welker for fourth. At the checkers it was Rachui(Corpus Christi) taking the victory in his All American Chevrolet of Killeen, Meyer Oilfield Services, Dar Pro Construction, CRS Suspension, 91 Specialties, PRC Carburetors, Revolution Graphics, Ace Automotive Machine Shop, Destroyer Chassis.

***Despite sitting out the night, M. Keylich held on to his points lead for the championship with Kirkland only able to finish seventh

_DSC1463(1024x684)(2).jpg.a27a84d244d5bff3775f223e2f1a3006.jpg

For us, I knew the bottom was pretty dominant,” replied Rachui. “Cameron(Starry) was up high early in the race. I was able to catch him on the bottom. I was just trying to protect the tires and keep it on the bottom. I think he found the bottom was better as well. His spin was unfortunate because he's a helluva wheel man and I enjoy racing people like that.”

I know that Allen Torres is back there and heard that Johnny(Torres) jumped in a car. Those two are always fast at their track. Anytime you can finish ahead of the Torres brothers it's a good thing. The Factory stocks are super competitive so anytime you can win a race it's good. I'm just glad we came out first tonight.”

Running the three south Texas is different for sure. We do pretty good here. I have a good set up that I like to run here. You may change some springs, a shock, some stagger or things of that sort. Just little changes, nothing huge. You have to adjust, I think we've got something figured out here.”

WE have some big shows planned. I think we're headed to Louisiana next weekend for the Cajun Classic at Ark-La-Tex. We'll see if we can hang with (Dalton)Faulkner, (Justin)Whitehead and all of them. Then we'll be back here for the DTK race next month and the December race they added, and the South Texas Shootout. We try to make all the big races and go to Louisiana at least once.”

Factory Stocks by All in Designs

25r Nathan Rachui, 94 Allen Torres, 44k Johnny Torres, 174 Makayla Trimble, 44x Brandon Welker, 20 Mike Lyon, 18 Kyle Kirkland, 7 Johnny Walker Brown, 15d Jamie Dear, 2k Kiehl VanBlarcum, 92r Robert Keylich, 741 Cameron Starry, 10 Scott Jerkins

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 741 Cameron Starry, 25r Nathan Rachui, 174 Makayla Trimble, 7 Johnny Walker Brown, 94 Allen Torres, 92r Robert Keylich, 15d Jamie Dear

Heat 2; 2k Kiehl VanBlarcum, 44x Brandon Welker, 20 Mike Lyon, 18 Kyle Kirkland, 44k Michael Keylich, 10 Scott Jerkins

Payton Picks Up First Fireball Payday

As the 20-lap Fireball came to green, Ryker Hernandez and Howie Marcx stayed door to door through turns 1-2. Marcx got the advantage with Hernandez, Cody Earnhardt, Justin Boop and Ryan McDonald following. On lap 2 Hernandez dove inside Marcx, got a little loose and clipped Marcx before spinning. Marcx had to pit with a flat while Hernandez was charged with the contact.

Now with two of the heat winners at the back, Cody Earnhardt inherited the top spot for the restart. As green waved it was Jarrett Payton getting a run to take the point on lap 3 before a caution for a spin by Evahdent Ivy in turn 2 that saw Joseph Montemayor get sent to the tail for contact. After a quick spin by Dale Caswell on the restart, Payton got out clear while McDonald looked low on Ju. Boop for second.

Coming to halfway it was Payton, Ju. Boop, McDonald, Ivy and Blaine Markgraf in the top five. Lap 11 saw McDonald go around in turn 4 ending his top run. The top four got away back under green with Payton beginning to inch away while Marcx and Hernandez worked their way back up. As the white waved Payton(San Antonio) had a four car length margin taking his first victory in the JGR Fab, 91 Specialties, Outlaw Gutters, TLC Graphics, Mikes Outlaw Machine Shop, Outlaw Chassis.

***Howie Marcx is the 2024 Track Champion.

_DSC1637(1024x684)(2).jpg.b60a26205f95a53abbb39a6dcd3eac21.jpg

Long time coming,” exclaimed Payton. “This is only our third race as a Fireball after moving from Factory Stocks. That class is tough, there's a lot of beating, banging, tearing stuff up. We decided to try something different.”

This class isn't much easier, you've got Howie Marcx who has been racing since I was in high school. We've been putting in the time and effort. We finally got it all put together tonight.”

This car was fast tonight. I think we had something for Howie and Ryker(Hernandez) if they hadn't gotten together at the start. I was impressed, it was on a rail. It would go anywhere. I started out on the high side and went to the bottom once I got the lead. I was going to make sure anyone that passed me, had to go high and work for it.”

I wasn't looking for anyone coming(from behind). Under the cautions I had plenty of time for my brain to tell me a whole lot of stuff. I didn't want to psyche myself out. I just told myself to stay on the bottom, hit my marks and stay smooth.”

Fireballs by Winners Circle Transmissions

18s Jarrett Payton, 72 Justin Boop, 05w Evahdent Ivy, 6m Blaine Markgraf, 86 Sammy Smith, 67 Joe Boop, 55 Ryker Hernandez, 13 Howie Marcx, 88 Bobby Jack, 18m Joseph Montemayor, 816 Ryan McDonald, h2s Shane Stonebraker, 6 Kelly Marbach, 5 Jeff Wills, 14 Mark Pivarnik, 64 Danny Dear, 1 Dale Caswell, 68 Cody Earnhardt, 44k Michael Keylich---dns

Fireball heats

Heat 1; 55 Ryker Hernandez, 64 Danny Dear, 1 Dale Caswell, 05w Evahdent Ivy, 6m Blaine Markgraf, 88 Bobby Jack, 44k Michael Keylich--dns

Heat 2; 13 Howie Marcx, 72 Justin Boop, 18s Jarrett Payton, 18m Joseph Montemayor, 86 Sammy Smith, 67 Joe Boop

Heat 3; 68 Cody Earnhardt, 816 Ryan McDonald, h2s Shane Stonebraker, 5 Jeff Wills, 6 Kelly Marbach, 14 Mark Pivarnik

Jones Wins Battle, Loses War

There was some drama before the start of the 20-lap Sport Compact when points leader, Eric Wilson, had a hard time keeping the car running on the warm up lap. Once the green waved it was Fons Ponsioen jumping out into the lead followed by Wilson, Sonny Kinnaman, Anthony Monroe and Donald Lewis in the top five.

Wilson got along side Ponsioen finally taking the spot on lap 3 while Josh Jones moved up beside Kinnaman for third. Ponsioen's run ended with contact on an infield field that brought out a yellow for debris. The two points challengers, Wilson and Jones, got out while Kinnaman and Monroe began swapping third.

At the midway point it was Wilson, Jones, Kinnaman, Monroe and Lewis in the top five. Jones then put the pressure on Wilson looking low as they came up on traffic. They were side by side going three wide around a lapped with Jones finally getting the nose out front on lap 15. From there Jones(San Antonio) was able to inch away for the win in the Keeping it Up Racing, D.A.M.M. Good Track Service, M&M Auto & Trucks Parts, K.P. NAPA, Sweet Texas Creations, Triple D Ranch, Talberts Shop, SBR Performance, 02 Chevy Cavalier 2.2(push rod).

***Wilsons finishing third was enough for him to maintain the points lead for the 2024 track championship.

_DSC1677(1024x684)(2).jpg.a0775a19515092bcbfc10c174d093d5b.jpg

It was a good fight between Eric(Wilson) and I,” said Jones. “But I'm happy with finishing second after the season. Eric deserved the championship, he's a good driver and a good quick car. It took everything I had to run him down. Once I found my spot, I took it and let it rip.”

I worried a little. The lapped traffic does kind of play into the race at times. I'm not trying to rub anyone's face in it. I love seeing all the women out there giving it a shot. They've gut a lot guts, more than most people. They make the sport look better too. I'm sure with (seat)time they'll improve. Let's just get them all out there and put on a show.”

Points racing is a whole different concept in your mind. Trying not to make mistakes. Making sure you have a good program for your car. Keeping the maintenance up. There's a whole lot that goes into it when you're running for a championship. We had a good program this year and made a run for it. I think we ended about three points shy. It was a helluva season, we had fun.”

We'll be back next year with the same car. Freshen it up. Hopefully we'll be adding another car to the “Keep It Up” racing team with my son Dillon. We've got that car gutted and ready for construction. He's already aware that I'm making a championship so he had better stay out of my way.”

Sport Compacts by Johnson Supply

11j Josh Jones, 38 Sonny Kinnaman, 18 Eric Wilson, 81 Anthony Monroe, 76y Donald Lewis, 43 Jennifer Ashelin, 3 Daelyn McQueen, 85 Michelle Conlee, 22 Fons Ponsioen

Sport Compact heat

Heat 1; 22 Fons Ponsioen, 18 Eric Wilson,38 Sonny Kinnaman, 76yDonald Lewis, 81 Anthony Norris, 11j Josh Jones, 3 Daelyn McQueen, 43 Jennifer Ashelin, 85 Michelle Conlee

Don't look for that to happen anytime soon.  Even when the stands were pretty much full at SAS, all I got from the daily newspaper was $10 a week for a "pre-race story," a "race write-up" and a weekly column.  I probably put in 20 hours a week. I thought I was doing it "for the good of racing." Ha Ha. Joke was on me. 

The bowling guy made $30 a week as I recall... LOL