E-Mod Trilogy Finale, Texas Dirt Truck Series by All in Designs @ I-37 Speedway 10-19-24

E-Mod Trilogy Finale, Texas Dirt Truck Series by All in Designs @ I-37 Speedway 10-19-24

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, Tx., (Oct. 19th, 2024) Cool, no really. It's finally cool again.

Finally some weather that doesn't stick to you with enjoyable temperatures for a night of racing. Some may even be using this race as a tune-up for the two big year end shows coming. DTK6 on the first weekend of November and the Texas Showdown 10K to win for IMCA Modifieds the first full weekend of December.

With points season over in all the regular local classes the only remaining championship to be decided is the E-Mod Trilogy by 366 Motorsports. What a points race it is too. Coming into the event Daniel Preston holds a single point lead over Parker Titzman and five ahead of Mickey Helms. Preston won the last time out at I-37 Speedway in a non-points race while Titzman won his first series race earlier in the season and Zach Freeman scored the second Trilogy event win.

Still within earshot of the leaders is the battle for fourth on back led by Freeman, with Hunter Porter, Derrick Gonzalez and Brianna Witzsche, who won the first ever E-Mod race held a few years back, all within six points of each other.

Also on the nights racing agenda were the Late Models, Factory Stocks, Fireballs plus the Texas Dirt Truck Series. The TDTS points season ended a few weeks back with former pavement Late Model champion, Tommy Grimes taking home the title. Since then the series has changed ownership and looking for a new start in the 2025 season.

Hardage Uses High Side for Late Model Loot

As the 12-car, 20-lap Late Model main came to life it was Talon Minten first into turn 1 with Kody Hardage, Cody Leonard, Ryan Doyon and Robby Minten in pursuit. Hardage, still up top, went around T. Minten for the lead on lap 2 with R. Minten taking fourth from Doyon. Leonard then moved in on T. Minten for second while Doyon and R. Minten swapped fourth.

Leonard got by T. Minten on lap 7 with R. Minten finally securing fourth. By halfway, Hardage had built a half straightaway advantage over Leonard, T. Minten, R. Minten and Doyon. The brothers Minten ran door to door for third while the leaders ran up on traffic. Leonard, lapping Chandler Fox, made contact sending Leonard around in turn 2 for a lap 14 yellow.

With his lead now gone, and his brakes fading, Hardage had Leonard on his bumper for the restart. Hardage, now using the low side, got away while R. Minten and Rory Jordan swapped fourth. Hardage(Seguin) saw his lead evaporate the final five laps as Leonard closed to within two car lengths as he held on for the win in his Billy Bobs Tire & Repair, MoBags Suspension Technology & Consulting, Carroll Construction, Lone Star Pressure Equipment, 604 crate powered, Rocket XR1 Chassis.

_DSC2036(1024x684)(2).jpg.1ed7b40a31d9cf1bcaafd4ad7b3a921a.jpg

“The track was rough and fast tonight,” said an exhausted Hardage. “I'm not complaining, I enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting it to be that fast, I was worn out. This is an old worn out IMCA motor is too, but it's still kickin'”

“No, I'm not retired. I've actually been racing up north with the Crate Late Model Series. I just picked this car up and actually finished it this morning. With a little help from MoBags at MoBags Suspension Technology we were able to get it done tonight.”

“Before that caution I wasn't really worried where Cody(Leonard) was at. I felt I was rolling pretty good on top. After that caution the car was kind of stuck on the bottom. I felt if I could stay there, I could protect. At that point I was wondering if he was there.”

“The brakes kind of went away, the pedal got soft just past halfway. That's why I stayed on the bottom. If you run the top and mess up with no brakes you're going off. On the bottom you slide up a bit and can catch it. I had to make the adjustment there and hope it didn't cost me.”

“It's a lot different running with that series than a local show. There you have 15-20 guys you have to beat. You run qualifying, heats, maybe B-main, everything counts for position. Shows like this you have 4-5 guys you need to beat. Sometimes more, but it's a different competition level. Of course it pays a lot better. The results up there hasn't shown much, but the car has gotten faster.”

“Lapped traffic is tricky. You'll try to size them up in advance. But sometimes they'll be running the top and you'll go to the bottom and they''ll move down. I sometimes wish they wouldn't use the move over flag. They'll see the flag and move down and not run the line they were. We're watching and picking our line.”

Late Models by Nogalitos Gear

12 Kody Hardage, 48 Cody Leonard, 9 Talon Minten, 24r Robby Minten, 7x Rory Jordan, 5r Ryan Doyon, 53x Matt Fox, 77 Mark Taylor, 53 Chandler Fox, 77x Robert Liese, zz Sloppy Hogg, 57 Jason Kelly

Late Model heats

Heat 1; 9 Talon Minten, 5r Ryan Doyon, 7x Rory Jordan, zz Sloppy Hogg, 53 Chandler Fox, 57 Jason Kelly

Heat 2; 12 Kody Hardage, 48 Cody Leonard, 24r Robby Minten, 77 Mark Taylor, 53x Matt Fox, 77x Robert Liese

Payday for Preston in E-Mod Sweep

Twenty cars took the green for the E-Mod 20 lapper with Daniel Preston getting out front ahead of Tim Thompson, Kyle Jackson, Kyler Ross and Hunter Porter. A spin by Zach Freeman in turn 3 set up a complete restart. Preston again jumped out front with Thompson, Jackson, Porter and Ross in his wake.

David Sheffield, using the middle, made his way forward getting fifth from Ross, fourth from Porter and third from Jackson on ensuing laps. Jackson would fight back on lap 6 before Sheffield secured the spot on lap 7. Derrick Gonzalez got by Porter for fifth and when Thompson slipped giving up several spots, and everyone in the top five picking up a spots.

At the crossed flags it was Preston, Sheffield, Jackson, Gonzalez and Porter in the top five. By lap 15 Preston had built a half straight lead but a spin by Sommer Nave ending up atop an infield tire erased that advantage. Preston easily got away on green with Sheffield, Jackson and Porter three wide for second.

Nave had a second spin setting up a single file restart that saw Preston and Sheffield get out from Jackson and Gonzalez. In the final laps Preston(Corpus Christi)) inched out to several car lengths going on to grab the win in his Grays Recycling, Jordan Equipment, T2 Aeronautical Service LLC, Rush by Austin Witt, Top Hat Signs & Designs, Wicked Fast Transmissions, WRT, Wehrs Machine, Mullins Crate Engines, Asher’s Mud Removal, Paisley's Power Washing, JoJo Wilham Chassis.

***The win secured the 2024 E-Mod Trilogy by 366 Motorsports Championship

_DSC2005(1024x684)(2).jpg.66fb052df808a9c5fc5c46530a879c9b.jpg

“It was a pretty good race,” replied Preston. “I liked that track a lot. Real smooth and slow, makes it a drivers track. I came into the night thinking for the feature I was just going to out, roll the bottom and if anyone was faster than me they were going to do it around the top. We ended up pulling out the win.”

“David Sheffield has been coming on this year. He's been getting quicker and quicker. I'm glad he's finally running up front. We don't really run for points at any track. It just so happened that we won this deal. I'm actually leading the points in Corpus, but I'm going on vacation and going to miss that race.”

“A lot of people change stuff between tracks. I don't change anything. We found something that works at all three tracks. I normally don't even change anything between heats and features. Just check air pressure and go.”

E-mod Trilogy by 366 Motorsports

6” Daniel Preston, 4k David Sheffield, 13k Kyle Jackson, 73 Derrick Gonzalez, 13p Hunter Porter, 17 Kyler Ross, L87 Parker Titzman, 95 Tim Thompson, 75h Mickey Helms, 57 Charles Flanagan, 101 Tripp Whitemire, 07 Michale Pesek, 59b Brianna Witzsche, 71w Bart Wilcox, 18 Cameron Voelschow, 18s Cameron Schmidt, 21s Sommer Nave , 23 Kiehl VanBlarcum, 27 Zach Freeman, k13 Kris Workman---dns

E-Mod heats

Heat 1; 6 Daniel Preston, 13k Kyle Jackson, 101 Tripp Whitmire, 07 Michale Pesek, 21s Sommer Nave, 71w Bart Wilcox, 23 Kyle VanBlarcum

Heat 2; 95 Tim Thompson, 4k David Sheffield, 73 Derrick Gonzalez, L87 Parker Titzman, 75h Mickey Helms, 18 Cameron Voelschow, 57 Charles Flanagan

Heat 3; 17 Kyler Ross, 13p Hunter Poerter, 27 Zach Freeman, 59b Brianna Witzsche, 18s Cameron Schmidt, k13 Kris Workman

Gaither Gathers Green

A small field started the 15-lap Factory Stock feature with Dillon Gaither and Brandon Welker staying door to door until Gaither got the advantage off of turn 2. Welker, Rowdy Chouinard, Dylan Kowalik and Makayla Trimble sorted out in the top five. Kowalik slipped allowing Trimble and Mike Lyon to get by.

Chouinard and Welker made contact sending Welker around in turn 2 and Chouinard to the tail for the restart. Trimble got by Welker for second back under green but Johnny Walker Brown sailed over the turn 3 hill for a lap 5 caution. Gaither got away on green with Welker retaking second and a three wide battle for fifth that Chouinard took.

Coming to halfway Gaither had six car lengths over Welker followed by Trimble, Chouinard and Lyon when Brown looped it in turn 2 for a yellow. As green waved again, Welker took a look off turn 2 for the lead while Chouinard got by Trimble for third. Gaither(San Antonio) then began to ease away building a half straight lead and take the checkers in the Paul Horelka owned, Opiela Mechanical, All in Designs, SABFI Transportation, 91 Specialties, Medieval Chassis.

_DSC2137(1024x684)(2).jpg.4498b8dce26146552f256c8be0d8f44e.jpg

“I really didn't think I spanked them that much,” said Gaither. “Starting up front helps a lot. They were doing good for a little while, especially on restarts. I know Brandon Welker kind of got into me on one of the restarts. The car was good.”

“Starting up front I really didn't have to deal with anybody. I walked the track and felt there was a little bit of moisture in the middle but a little rough. The bottom got real slick there towards the end of the race. The middle groove had a lot of grip. I knew if I could in, in the middle, I could drive off just fine.”

“You just have to figure out how to get around lapped traffic. I've raced enough with most of these guys. When they cut the race to 15 laps I didn't think we'd get to any, but there at the end, we did.”

“If Blaine wants to drive my car that's up to Grandpa Horelka. I've got another car of my own and I'd let the kid run it. From what I could see, the kid drove a heck of a race. If he moves up, we'll rub some fenders and have some good racing.”

Factory Stocks by All in Designs

41 Dillon Gaither, 44 Brandon Welker, 28r Rowdy Chouinard, 174 Makayla Trimble, 20 Mike Lyon, 10 Scott Jerkins, 7 Johnny Walker Brown, 92r Robert Keylich, 7 Johnny Walker Brown, 29k Dylan Kowalik

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 41 Dillon Gaither, 44x Brandon Welker, 29k Dylan Kowalik, 28r Rowdy Chouinard, 7 Johnny Walker Brown, 10 Scott Parker, 174 Makayla Trimble,92r Robert Keylich, 20 Mike Lyon

Torres Takes Truck Tally

As the TDTS 20-lap feature fired off it was Zach Freeman grabbing the early lead trailed by Allen Torres, Heath Stewart, Colin Carroll and Eric Ramos. Torres waisted little time looking low and grabbing the top spot on lap 2. Carroll worked past Ramos for third and just as he got second, in my best George Thorogood voice, “boom boom, out go the lights” on the front stretch.

After recycling the lights, the race resumed. Torres left Carroll and Freeman side by side until Freeman slipped giving up second to Carroll and third to Stewart. The field spread out coming to halfway showing Torres, Carroll, Stewart, Ramos and Russ Parker in the top five. A debris caution would slow the pace on lap 13 and rebunch the field.

On the restart Carroll and Freeman made some contact that may have contributed to Freeman sliding off turn 2 after breaking a radiator and slipping in the fluid. Once back to green the top three got away while Evahdent Ivy took fourth from Parker. The two then made contact in turn 2 sending Ivy around, and Parker to the tail.

The single file restart saw Carroll take a peek on Torres for the lead while Ivy and Stewart battled for third. Stewart got the spot with Ivy giving up fourth to Ramos a lap later. Carroll would spin himself from second losing several spots, but continuing. This left Torres(San Antonio) with a big lead going the final laps uncontested in the Mike Jackson owned, AbsoluteOilfield.com, C3 Speed Horses, A&W Truck Sales, All Out Diesel, CNC Grafix, All in Designs, Allens 24/7 Towing, JGR Fab, 91 Specialties, 602 crate powered, ARTS Chassis.

_DSC2192(1024x684)(2).jpg.1c8673332c095af7cd4ad5f5bd35fd66.jpg

“The heat race was a little sketchy at first.” said Torres about his first TDTS start. “Turns 1-2 were great, 3-4 were like, when is this thing going to turn? There's not really that much difference between this and my Factory Stock, except some power. There's more power in this.”

“In the feature mainly I just wanted to hit my points and not screw up. I really didn't hear or see anybody. I heard Colin Carroll was close a few times, but I never heard him.”

“Jaime(Fuller) called last week and asked me if I wanted to drive one. Bo(Tracy) then called to see if I still wanted to drive it. The main person I have to thank is Mike Jackson, it's his truck.”

Texas Dirt Truck Series

22 Allen Torres, 02 Heath Stewart, 9 Eric Ramos, 05w Evadent Ivy, 28 Russ Parker, 29k Dylan Kowalik, 45 Danny Dear,21 Colin Carroll, 8 Cody Dienhart, 05 Daniel Gaudette, 15 Zach Freeman, 77 Preston Pehl, 17 Sammy Smith

TDTS Heats

Heat 1; 15 Zach Freeman,02 Heath Stewart, 9 Eric Ramos, 05w Evahdent Ivy, 05 Daniel Gaudette, 45 Danny Dear

Heat 2; 22 Allen Torres, 21 Colin Carroll, 28 Russ Parker, 17 Sammy Smith, 29k Dylan Kwalik, 77 Preston Pehl, 8 Cody Dienhart

Fireball First for Markgraf

The start of the 20-lap Fireball Feature saw track champ, Howie Marcx, grab the lead with GW Hessong trying high in turn 3. Marcx held the spot with Hessong, Ryker Hernandez, Sammy Smith and Justin Boop in pursuit. Hessong made his way past Marcx for the lead on lap 2 while Jarrett Payton and Ju. Boop side by side for fifth.

Hernandez took second from Marcx followed by Smith to third. Hernandez would spin from second with Marcx and Ryan McDonald getting tangled trying to miss him. Back to green, Hessong and Payton got away with Blaine Markgraf grabbing third from Smith who would lose fourth to Ju. Boop.

Payton began looking low on Hessong for the lead as Smith fought with Ju. Boop. Markgraf ran down Payton and took the spot on lap 9. At halfway it was Hessong, Markgraf, Payton, Ju. Boop and Smith in the top five. Markgraf then closed in on Hessong for the lead taking a peek low on the back stretch.

Markgraf then took the point on lap 12 while Hessong tried to come back low. Hessong then jumped up top getting along side Markgraf and then ducked low off turn 4 get the nose out front on lap 15. The 13-year old, Markgraf threw a perfect slide job in turns 1-2 to retake the top spot.

The veteran, Hessong, would try high, then low keeping the pressure on the youngster, who now had the crowd on their feet cheering him on. Hessong gave it one last try, but got loose in turn 4 with Markgraf(Floresville), who started dead last, having a clear run to his first ever Fireball victory in the Paul Horelka owned, Opiela Plumbing, Supreme Foundation Repair, All in Designs, C3 Speed Horses, Rachel Plant Pic Chick, F-Bomb Diesel Performance, Bodies by Opiela, Paint by Pap Pap, in-house powered Camaro.

***I can't ever recall a more popular win.

_DSC1953(1024x684)(2).jpg.70915b0fda8aa152552c5245b9021ee7.jpg

“It feels pretty good,” said the 9-time Go-Kart track champion. “I couldn't have gotten here without my mom, dad, Cheston, all my sponsors and all the help that busts their butts. It took all of them to make this happen.”

“I drive these a lot different than I drove the kart. There's a lot less to it, but a lot more horse power. I knew that I was going to pass him(Hessong) clean even if it meant coming in second. He ran a good race with us. I got by him, it was kind of hard to believe. We had a real good fun race to the checkered flag.”

“I had a plan to come through the field somehow. I just kept running where I knew I had to. With five to go I told myself to just keep hitting my marks where I need to. Coming out of (turns) 1-2 I saw his nose. That orange coming inside of me, I just tried to hit my marks the same, and I did.”

“I think maybe I'd like to go pavement racing at some point. Not really NASCAR, but I have thought about the World of Outlaws too. But if I could hot lap any car here tonight it would be Dillons(Gaither) car.”

“Very proud of him. He drove from last to win, pretty cool,” added his dad, Dwayne

Fireballs by Winners Circle Transmissions

6m Blaine Markgraf, four GW Hessong, 18s Jarrett Payton, 55r Ryker Hernandez, 37 Frank Okruhlik, 86 Sammy Smith, 67 Joe Boop, 3 Abraham Mares, 5 Jeff Wills, 88 Bobby Jack, 72 Justin Boop, 13 Howie Marcx, 816 Ryan McDonald

Fireball heats

Heat 1; 13 Howie Marcx, four GW Hessong, 55r Ryker Hernandez, 72 Justin Boop, 88 Bobby Jack, 6m Blaine Markgraf, 37 Frank Okruhlik

Heat 2; 67 Joe Boop, 18s Jarrett Payton, 86 Sammy Smith, 81 Ryan McDonald6, 5 Jeff Wills, 3 Abraham Mares