Too many Touring Series?

tqj3

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jp, if you think your chassis would not be competitive if both cars weighed the same. You might be suprised. As for telling the other guys they can not run their engines, if it makes for better car count and racing its worth the sacrifice. As for top drawing is 14-20 cars top drawing, I think not. 30-40 cars is top drawing. having to run b-main is top drawing. Its been years since their was a full field of any cars except the thr street stocks. A lot of current drivers never had to wade through a real field of cars.

Who says the cars have to be 2900 lbs, maybe 3000lbs

Yea, I know all the theoretical differences but the tires and the car don't know what kind of steering is on the car.

(i know Nick will want to chime in here_

Lets not all get so intimidated by the exotic looking crap, remember as the total weight goes up, unsprung weight becomes less of a factor. Also if you spin a tire you just gave up any advantage to all the theory. Close and lots of competition will possibly bring out these theoretical advantages, but right now there is not a lot of real close racing between a pack of cars in slm. As for slip slidding around and bonzing around on 8" tires, leave it to the steet stocks, its not latemodel racing.

You know everyone keeps talking about slm, but you know the biggest touring series that got rid of the super latemodel chassis because they were dying, and went to a conventional type chassis and detuned motor and increased their car count. Hooters Pro cup.

Again, when we speak about all the technical aspects we in the circle know the differences. The fans in the stands will not know the differences if you tell them they are super latemodels, latemodels what ever. The field is packed and puts on a good show even in a big venue like SAS.

fishracer,

your entire anyalysis of the TSRS & USRA super lates is wrong. [edited out by Nick Holt, 9/16/05] Fans dont care about you 350 vs 500 CFM, you weight ratios, your tube vs stock clip, your spung vs unspunk BS. They want to see fast clean looking cars and that is what they get with TSRS and USRA.

I have edited a couple of posts in this thread because the comments were bashing one series or another.

This is a very important subject to be discussing, but I will not be permitting anyone to bash in order to make a point.

Thanks.

Nick Holt

Has anyone considered length of show verses car count? Until this year SAS was the only place you could run a SAS legal car. Ok,I know I will here it from you guys,but is it really worth the headaches and expense of NASCAR seeing how it is the only sanctioned track in the state. If the tracks unified their rules and went together under their own deal maybe they could get a better insurance rate also. I think rotating the touring series each week would be better then grouping them for one big race once a month or so. For those wanting to get rid of the touring series,if that was done don't bet that the local car count would increase,many might choose not to race at all or even frequent the tracks anymore.

For those wanting to get rid of the touring series,if that was done don't bet that the local car count would increase,many might choose not to race at all or even frequent the tracks anymore.

You've got that right. Racers, especially the weekly variety, have been very easy to "run off" this year. I can think of several examples of guys that were the subject of some type of disciplinary action who just hung it up rather than come back. Getting rid of any of the touring series would likely result in an increase in the sales of ski and fishing boats. :lol:

Fishracer: On the surface your ideas are intriguing but in reality the obstacles, technical and otherwise, would be nearly impossible to overcome. More importantly I don’t think that the plan addresses the core issue of increasing track revenue streams. When you combine two separate nights of touring series revenue into a single night of income the tracks lose out. There’s just too much crossover participation and fan attendance between TSRS and USRA.

Thank you for the kind words about my team but giving me 10” tires and a top running USRA team one of my motors wouldn’t level the playing field. I’d be glad to debate the specifics of why but this probably isn’t the thread. jp

Edited by jp17

put them all on the same tire, make the left side weight the same and make the total weight the same,carb and intake the same too,and let them race but for crying out loud QUIT CHANGING THE RULES IT COST THE RACERS TO MUCH MONEY AND THEY QUIT COMING.and thats all I got to say about that.

Edited by racerjim2

Horelka nor Heil has never used money as an excuse for not winning... I believe he (Horelka) has multiple track Championships to back that up.... If your somehow stating that Robert Barker has alot of money to work with to race then you might want to go have a chat with him he runs on a similar budget to Horelka and is doing what he is doing on experience. This thread isnt about who is speding what to win its about how are we going to get the cars back to racing at their home tracks... Here is one problem with the new NASCAR system it will be impossible for a local LM to win based on there only being one track in the area. I dont see THR getting NASCAR sanctioned and if it did it would have to run on a totally different night than SAS would. Just look at the standings the top 3 cars run at mulitple tracks a night that have a higher car count at both (dirt tracks). Now depending on what Roberts payout would be for 8th I will reserve the following comment. I believe that if SAS dropped NASCAR sanctioning and THR and SAS worked together on the rules, you could have the LM's run each other week at each track meaning Week 1 SAS, Week 2 THR, Week 3 SAS and give them one week a month off so that if they want they can tour with TSRS or save money... Also if points are an issue run seperate tallys one for the touring series one for the local series and at the end of the season take the top ten out of both and have another shootout... Its just an idea... If the rules were the same at both tracks and TSRS you might see some changes for the better...

Actually tsrsfan, Robert Barker won two of the four twin-50 races, Joe Aramendia one, Ervin Breiten one and Mike Balzer won the shootout. So for you to make this statement.

The guy with all the money won the Twin 50's.
is far from factual. Just joking or not.

Having a sanctioning body, no matter who it is adds things that some people tend to overlook. Besides the payout at the banquet, which from what Pacecar has told me is good, even just for a track championship, then there are the intangibles. The main one being insurance. There are plenty of anti-IMCA on whowon.com, but when people racing find out that IMCA offers a great deal of coverage, beyond what ANY track has, they are quieted quickly. How many people with health insurance have actually read the fine print of their policies? I'd bet you'll find many of them exclude injuries due to motorsports events.

I have often stated my opinion on the number of touring series, compared to the available car/driver count, and promptly got my head torn off for my views. The problem is the amount of cars available and sponsorship available. Gone are the days of Mom and Pop stores giving money to racers. They are struggling to keep afloat with all the "BIG" names chains moving in and cutting their profits. Then the "BIG" name sponsorship dollars go to NA$CAR teams, where they get more exposure for their investment than a local short track. Just another way that I believe NA$CAR is killing local short track racing, expecially in the pavement ranks.

So what's the answer? Hell if I knew that I'd be rich and famous. Instead I'm just infamous! LOL Sometimes racers can be there own worst enemies, with wanting/not wanting rules changes. Fans want to see good shows, with big car counts or they will spend any entertainment dollars elsewhere. Certainly more unified rules may be helpful, but it's just a band-aid on a bullet wound and it will always piss off one group or another. Running one track Friday and another Saturday. Don't see that working, Friday nights would be killed by high school football season so one track would always suffer. Then look at how many guys can barely afford to race once a week anyway!

In the meantime I'll start collecting highway cones that may someday be useful when touring series have no track to race at and are limited to K-Mart parking lots.

OK I'm off my soapbox for now.........................

Lotta good people on here makin' a lotta good points...Tracks can come and go...Series can come and go...I'm pretty sure there will be some place to race. Hell I can adjust to changes in the racin' scene...yep I'll even race in the Kmart parkin' lot if thats the only place to race.

2005 Season Awards from Nascar for SAS.

According to Nascar's payout chart for ninth place in the Divisional II standings, Robert Barker will receive $9000 plus a specially engraved track champion helmet from Nascar headquarters.

If Aramendia finishes second in the SAS LM points, then his money award from Nascar will be $2500.

The 3rd place SAS LM will receive $1450 from Nascar. Fourth place $750, etc. etc.

Plus any local point fund that SAS and/or FASCAR might distribute.

For the Sportsman class, Nascar will be paying $1000 to the champ, $500 for second, $300 for third, etc..

For the Roadrunner class, Nascar will be paying $500 to the champ, $250 for second, $225 for third, etc...

====

fishracer quote "There are alot of good drivers in arts,tsrs, sas lm, tams,thr lm, hmp lm, etc that would give any of the current slm are run for their money but yet will never get the notority because of the cost of entry, so sad. "

You paid more for your new tricked out Childress car than last years SLM champion paid for his.

well here it goes. racing is a big money sport, it takes big money to build a nice asphalt track,big money for slm considering in c.c. 28,000 is the middle class wage here.i can name about maybe 3 to 5 people who are well off that help racers with their cash, the rest with money spend it on there go fast machines. then get to old or something else and you never see them again. up in racing land they love racing. for some reason down here its hard to get a marketing partner for our sport. racing is who you know.tams has one team that has rented each track at least onceis it wrong to let the team with the most money gain advantages,some say yes some say no you never hadly here of those people giving extra money to our purse. im a working man if racing on aphalt is going to survive we need to help the underfunded racers to keep car counts up tire rules,and if you have a flat no matter who you are you need to go to the back.that way one driver wouldnt keep having flats every race. brian vickers can anybody say cvproducts.hell terry got where he is because he got lucky wih petymont airplane guy.bobby terrys brother. now terrys son. rusty used to barrow from the bank at the first of the year then pay it back during the year with his winning.running asa. the banker now adays would never lend you money with that type of risk.maybe a loan shark. we had a new tripple aaa baseball team and new stadium built in cc the ryans put up some money the city put up some money.they marketed very,very well. business begged them to take there moneyand about 500,000 fans went to see the games. can local tracks say that.even big shows like the big dog didnt pan out.they need to employe a real marketing person like nasscar did for the nasscar race in kyle.i have seen it have pr in news papers and some sales mags.i am lucky to have one sponser for cash this year but who knows about next.sas super streets ran for no money,and the track let rules get out of hand.tida pay didnt keep up with the times, then came romco.ive met alot good hardworking people going to other tracks willing to lend you a hand. the 160,000 people all cant be wrong.but remember the newer guys and girls coming up in racing have hired pr. mark martins son already at 9 years old has a drivers deal with ford. so yes it takes money...............................................

Edited by j.j.&s.racing