SAS - Time for a name change?

NickHolt

i wouldnt name the track after a sponsor only for the fact that a couple of years down the road you might part ways with that sponsor and again need to change the name...............too many name changes and the fans will not connect with the track.............jmo

how about rolling thunder speedway?...............

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are demographics available about the traffic that is and will be flowing to Toyota right in front of the Track. It is not uncommon for people to pay $3000 to $5000 per month for a billboard on a busy Hiway in San Antonio. It should be fairly easy to put something together for $100,000 per year for naming rights.

Short Track: A track less than a mile in length

Speedway: A Track longer than a mile, but not more than 1.5 miles

Superspeedway: An oval track more than 1.5 miles long

This is according to Richard Huff an award winning journalist and author. His work has appeared in such national publications as NASCAR MAGAZINE, VIDEO REWIEW, THE WASHINGTON JOURNALISM REVIEW, INSIDE NASCAR, and a few others.

So actually SAS is a short track, but I'm sure it doesnt feel too short at times.

Spending the money on the name change, and the logo change is great if you have it to spend, or you could take the money that you'd have to spend to do all the changing, and spend it on actually advertising WHERE THE TRACK IS LOCATED, and WHAT TYPE OF CARS RUN THERE.

A name change will create just that; a change of name, without advertising behind the name change... you will still have people new to racing asking questions. (who, what, when, where, and why)

missmindy29

I still think since the Alamo is old n beat up and the track is old n beat up, alamo suits it fine! lol How much would you pay me to come and paint the walls terry????? The walls are looking like corpus! lol

Alamo is an icon of SA obviously, and it is something people can identify from all over the country. As soon as people heard Alamo Speedway, Motorsports Park, Superspeedway etc. They would recognize the location reguardless if you left the name SAS or not. But I dont know if you would have to go through the city's policies be4 you could name something after the alamo or not.

There are demographics available about the traffic that is and will be flowing to Toyota right in front of the Track. It is not uncommon for people to pay $3000 to $5000 per month for a billboard on a busy Hiway in San Antonio. It should be fairly easy to put something together for $100,000 per year for naming rights.

Now this is a GREAT IDEA... Way to go tsrsfan. NOW ARE THE POWERS TO BE LISTENING... Someone needs to pay this man for this idea. And no I'm not kidding either... Terry D. Thats prime advertising you got...

Spending the money on the name change, and the logo change is great if you have it to spend, or you could take the money that you'd have to spend to do all the changing, and spend it on actually advertising WHERE THE TRACK IS LOCATED, and WHAT TYPE OF CARS RUN THERE.

Two good ideas...

Nick, Since Terry gets on here and reads. You may want him to draw his attention to this... Here are two good ideas that will not cost him a RED CENT...

These are both ideas that will work...

Nick, Since Terry gets on here and reads. You may want him to draw his attention to this... Here are two good ideas that will not cost him a RED CENT...

These are both ideas that will work...

Mark,

No need for me to bring this thread to Terry's attention. After all, he's the one who asked that I start this thread in the first place. LOL

And, yes, he's very aware of the increased value that signage will bring along Highway 16 in the future. He's already working on making the back straight billboards visible from Highway 16 as well as from the stands and has plans to put up more signs up high in the turns as well as talking with a number of potential businesses about naming rights.

Just as importantly, Terry is interested in our ideas on this subject and we have already discussed a few of the names presented in this thread.

Nick Holt

First, thing would be to put directions on the SAS website, so somebody can find the track. Second, do not hide the Yahoo Map under "Contact Us" it needs to be on the home page. Oh third, repair the zip code input on the yahoo map for the track when you pull it up, it has an error message.

A sponsors name has to be on the track. It will not survive with out it, no matters what they pay or who it is.

Edited by west-ackerman racing

alright fred flinestone please explain to us youngins what the hell a pedal car is.....

Alright, Monkeyboy, This is a pedal car. As the name implies, it is powered by PEDALS. No batteries here.

This is my grandson riding his car.

The seat area is pretty wide; plenty of room for kiddos like you and Brad who are still wearing those youth pull-ups!

post-2-1129680226_thumb.jpg

it is pretty cool of mr dickerson to ask for suggestions, it shows he is an out of the box thinker and that is what the track has needed for while........another suggestion would be to take a dozer and knock out all of those mesquites that block the track on both sides...........and maybe throw some asphalt down in the parking lot for the fans...........it is pretty bad, especially after it rains pretty good.........jmo

How about :

Premier Speedway of San Antonio

Vortex Speedway

Aycaramba Raceway

AAA motor speedway

San Antonio Speedway (just a new logo)

after all so long as you what they do and where it is the rest is up to the promoter and the racers

Edited by racerjim2

This is my grandson riding his car.

The seat area is pretty wide; plenty of room for kiddos like you and Brad who are still wearing those youth pull-ups!

Tom the boy looks a lot like you (poor thing) j/k ... Except for the hair! lol

As for the seat... a little wider would help us bigger boys wearin the pull-ups.

Nick,

I knew that. Terry and I have had several talks about STUFF that ends up on here...

Some ideas seem to go by the way side. If Terry is indeed looking for ideas that will make a difference then one would think he would go to those which help to keep his business going. This is exactly what he has done and for that I applaud him... Terry is the first person I've seen over the past few years who has the power to do what he said he would do and acted on that. Mike S. had many good intentions, but I don't think he had the backing to do it. I may be wrong and if so I apologize, I think his hands were tied. Ok back on Subject, if one were to get a Sponsors name on the track; there would need to be a multi-year contract (15 years) or so. If not, then every other year the name would have to be changed. If one were to go after Corporate Sponsorship on the track, Toyota would be my first vote... That or one of Toyota's major parts suppliers. If it were GM building the plant, Terry could go after Delphi for example... Someone else mentioned Walmart if Terry were to name it San Antonio Motor Speedway (SAMS), this is another great idea...

Lone Star Speedway

Lone Star Raceway

Lone Star Racetrack

Lone Star Circle Track

Alamo City Speedway

Alamo City Raceway

Alamo City Racetrack

Alamo City Circle Track

and just for fun "Dickersons Last Resort" :lol:

Ok back on Subject, if one were to get a Sponsors name on the track; there would need to be a multi-year contract (15 years) or so. If not, then every other year the name would have to be changed. If one were to go after Corporate Sponsorship on the track, Toyota would be my first vote... That or one of Toyota's major parts suppliers. If it were GM building the plant, Terry could go after Delphi for example... Someone else mentioned Walmart if Terry were to name it San Antonio Motor Speedway (SAMS), this is another great idea...

15 years is wishful thinking but not realistic. To land a sponsor for 5 years would be great but hard to get..... Delphi has filed bankruptcy..... Hope everything works out and hope he gets enough $$$$$$$ to make improvements to the track......