SAS - Time for a name change?

NickHolt

Ok back on Subject, if one were to get a Sponsors name on the track; there would need to be a multi-year contract (15 years) or so. If not, then every other year the name would have to be changed. If one were to go after Corporate Sponsorship on the track, Toyota would be my first vote... That or one of Toyota's major parts suppliers. If it were GM building the plant, Terry could go after Delphi for example... Someone else mentioned Walmart if Terry were to name it San Antonio Motor Speedway (SAMS), this is another great idea...

15 years is wishful thinking but not realistic. To land a sponsor for 5 years would be great but hard to get..... Delphi has filed bankruptcy..... Hope everything works out and hope he gets enough $$$$$$$ to make improvements to the track......

God here we go again... I'm going to start every post with don't take me seriously or better yet read my post before you answer....

I said it would be like GM building the plant and going after Delphi because there one of the suppliers. IF TOYOTA DOESN'T WANT TO BE A SPONSOR THEN MAYBE ONE OF THEIR SUPPLIERS WILL!!!!

DID I SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU TWO BETTER NOW?

:D

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hell, go with San Antonio's Fiesta Speedway or San Antonio's Fiesta Raceway-you already got Fiesta Texas-might be a hook-go with the culture-cater to the majority of the population in SA-or you could change it around to Fiesta San Antonio Speedway or Fiesta San Antonio Raceway-never know-just got to throw the bait and see if you catch something

wow chiefs13-like SAR is capitalizing off SAS-give me a break-SAR runs what,about 165+ race dates during the season and SAS has about what, 25?

Tommy,

I think what chiefs13 is talking about is that San Antonio Raceway changed its name from River City Raceway to San Antonio Raceway a few years back while San Antonio Speedway already had a name (San Antonio Speedway) that sounded very similar. This confused a lot of race fans right off the bat and still confuses many.

This is one of the primary reasons (along with the possibility of coming up with a major "naming" sponsor) why Terry is considering a name change since the two tracks have very similar names.

Nick Holt

i understand that nick,we answer each others phone calls on saturdays-I was always under the impression the namechange came about when the ihra nationals came in and world wide tv exposure came with it-people and racers around the country and world could relate to San Antonio, but not River City.Several cities around the country are called River City,even Austin.I know when I watched the race on Speed Channel,the name San Antonio got tons of exposure.It was good for the whole city of SA

Tommy,

Thats what I figured, but was never certain. When I heard the deal with IHRA was a done deal I was excited and figured it would bring plenty of exposure. Now that SAR has a number of national records and so on. It's no wonder people know of San Antonio Raceway...

I think what chiefs13 is talking about is that San Antonio Raceway changed its name from River City Raceway to San Antonio Raceway a few years back while San Antonio Speedway already had a name (San Antonio Speedway) that sounded very similar. This confused a lot of race fans right off the bat and still confuses many.

something similar happened a couple of years back with a local junk yard.........their name was advanced auto parts and since it was so identical to advance auto parts, people got the two confused, so advance auto parts made a fuss and the junk yard had to change their name..........seems like basically the same deal here............jmo

The funny part is the drag track isnt even in San Antonio, its in Marion,, saspeedracer, stick to taking pics, you are great at that,lol,lol,coming up with name???????, j/k marc,had to get you riled up after your fun weekend with Reb. :D  :rolleyes:

Ok!!!

Track at Ennis gets announced to be at Dallas. Track at Baytown gets announced at Houston, Nascar Track in Ft Worth is actually Ft. Worth Alliance which is really the title for the Airfield. Drag Strip in Columbus Ohio is in I believe Mansfield Ohio??? So they pick the closest BIG city... :blink::unsure:

BTW, Until recently SAS wasn't in San Antonio either. It's in Bexar county. When the city moved out there, my understanding is there was a bunch of things that were grandfathered in...

Edited by KISS_Racing

Some do get it, my point is the drag track changed there name to san antonio raceway which confused many, yes people do associate it as san antonio but theywere not in sa so shouldnt name it as such, I37 in plesanton is known to racers as san antonio, but they dont call them selfs san antonio dirt track, that was my piont, no reson for anyone to get upset over a good natured thread,about a name change, its all good. :D;)

Edited by Boerneracehounds50

Some do get it, my point is the drag track changed there name to san antonio raceway which confused many, yes people do associate it as san antonio but theywere not in sa so shouldnt name it as such, I37 in plesanton is known to racers as san antonio, but they dont call them selfs san antonio dirt track, that was my piont, no reson for anyone to get upset over a good natured thread,about a name change, its all good. :D  ;)

I don't think anyones upset... I responded to the fact that it was stated that the drag strip isn't named Marion Drag Strip, but SAR. My point to you is that in order to get fans to come track normally name themselves (for those that use city name) after the closest BIG city... Again SAS/Hwy 16/ The Original San Antonio Raceway was not originally considered to be in the city of San Antonio...

Tommy your right!!!

Here is another example for you, but not a track one... The company I work for full time names their towers after the closest biggest known(KEY WORD- KNOWN) city when naming their towers after a city. So instead of naming our Uvalde site "Knippa", they named it Uvalde. Now it's a mile from Knippa and 8 or so miles from Uvalde. Until I began working in the field, I had no clue where Knippa was... If a track opens in Podunk USA, how many people would know where Podunk USA was, ok wait some would I agree... :D

Another side note... Knowing several people who are and have been in the night club business. Night clubs change there names for many reasons. one of which is the club has gained a bad name for what ever reason in the customers eyes. A name change even though the ownership hasn't changed will many times bring in business that had gone elsewhere.... (JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT!)

I will agree that to be honest i don't care what Terry decides to call it, I will be there... It is just good to see that he is doing ALL the good things that he/they are doing...

Edited by KISS_Racing